Notices

Boyfriend in rehab

Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Boyfriend in rehab

Hi there,

My bf entered rehab 3 weeks ago for a meth addiction. Long story short, he went into meth psychosis which lasted a couple of days. I kept him calm and was there for him. I did not know it was a drug induced psychosis, I thought it was due to stress. He was leaving the state but I got him to turn around. After his parents and I got together the following day with some folks at the recovery center he agreed to the 30 day inpatient but was very upset about the whole thing. He began using meth 2 years ago on (heavy) and off. He had stopped for some months but relapsed a few months ago after learning that his mother was very ill. Mind you, I did not know that he used meth AT ALL. I've never used drugs. I found out the day before he was admitted. We have been in a relationship for 8 months. When I met him he was not using. I noticed changes in him a few months ago, more distant, quiet (figured it was due to the stress of his mother's illness) so I didn't bother him about it. Instead was just always there to support him. He is absolutely amazing, intelligent and talented. He never did anything mean or anything that indicated he was using. He had a job up until a few weeks ago. He paid for me when we went out, he's always been a sweetheart, always wanted to hang out etc. So the first few days of rehab were tough, he contemplated quitting but after thinking it over stayed. We get to visit once a wk, I've seen him 3x since he was admitted. He called me twice a week the first 2 weeks. This is week 3 and he has not called and I cannot visit this week. So I am losing my marbles. When I see him or talk to him he always tells me how much he loves me and misses me and one day we had a long deep convo were he said he was there for himself and was learning a lot but the reason he decided to turn back and stay in rehab is because of me and he appreciates my love and support. Because he wants our relationship to work etc. But I'm a little hurt that he hasn't called this week. Am i being paranoid? I get it if he's working on himself but I'm afraid he might be having second thoughts about his recovery and therefore avoiding me. This past week he's up and down about staying for the 90days. He seemed all for it last wk until one of the guys there started to convince to move in w/ him after the 30 days. I don't know. I'm just really confused Can someone HELP.
ps: his fam loves me b/c I'm very positive and supportive.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to wrap your mind around addiction until you experience it. Your BF is going through hell right now, and you might just need to give him a little space while he starts healing. You're awesome for sticking by him thru this- lots of people would have cut and run.

My demon was booze, never did drugs more than just occasionally back in the day. I'm sure someone who knows more about that type of addiction will be along soon.

Meanwhile, welcome to SR! You'll find lots of good people here who care. It's a great support structure, so make yourself at home!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I think you might find some answers in the substance abuse forum for friends and family. Give it a look.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First of, thanks for the replies.
UPDATE: He finally called this morning from the payphone they have there. Apparently the center's phone lines are down or something like that. He also gave me the # to the payphone so I can call him if I'd like but I don't plan on doing that. I'll let him keep working on himself, he can call when he's up for it : ) Any who, GREAT news. He decided he's going to give it a shot and stay another 30 days. I'm so PROUD of him.