Notices

7 days, this blows

Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days, this blows

21 yr old female in NYC with 7 days.

I really don't want to get sober but my shrink said I'm probably an alcoholic and it will only get worse.

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only you can say you are an alcoholic, not even a shrink can say it fo you ;-)

It's all about how you feel towards alcohol and your relationship with it.

All the best
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oups forgot, grats on 7 days, that's awsome!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 days is very early in recovery. It will get better.

How about making a pro and con list about alcohol. Seeing it on paper might help you realize you made the right decision.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isinganyway View Post
21 yr old female in NYC with 7 days.

I really don't want to get sober but my shrink said I'm probably an alcoholic and it will only get worse.

Thoughts?
What REALLY blows is when it does get worse and starts devastating your life and your health. This isn't an abstract concept to me. I lived it and am now picking up the pieces.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@thepatman, thanks

@elisabeth888, it is... just having a really hard time dealing with all of this.

@john44 that's what I'm afraid of...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 days sober!

I hope you commit yourself to sobriety because you really have to want it, to make it work.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@anna thank you
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

maybe part of you doeswant to get sober,you wouldn't be here otherwise

welcome to SR
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't want to get sober either, just wanted to continue drinking without any consequences. Now going on three years sober and don't miss it one bit! My life has never been better.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I didn't want to get sober either, just wanted to continue drinking without any consequences. Now going on three years sober and don't miss it one bit! My life has never been better.

Welcome to SR!
hHi least,

if you don't mind me asking,how did you get sober if you didn't want it. I really really want to get sober and struggling.thank you
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to see an addiction counselor as a result of being sent, for free, to detox. I really fought it at first but as the consequences piled up and I began to hate myself more I started trying in earnest to get sober. And with the help of my counselor and this site I'm making it one day at a time.

I also started practicing gratitude every day and that helped me a lot. It got rid of the desire to drink and reminded me of how blessed I really was and how much I could lose if I drank again.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you, that's very helpful. Congrats on 3 years-that's brilliant.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It definitely gets worse, fast. I do not know your situation, but if you are here then you have probably noticed signs that it is becoming a problem or will. The crappy thing is that by the time you hit rock bottom with alcohol, it is really hard to quit due to compulsion and addiction... and drinking itself isn't even fun anymore.. it just makes you not feel like crap for a moment. By this time you have completely change your lifestyle around alcohol and are a different person. Reversing this is incredibly difficult.

My advice, quit while you are ahead. I remember myself before it truly was a problem though, and it took me to hit bottom to realize that I have to quit for good. So you are faced with an extremely difficult choice since you still enjoy drinking. But yeah make a list and make a logical and smart decision about the pros and cons. Only you can decide what you want out of life, so good luck.

Sorry for bad grammar, in a rush
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It can and will get worse, I would give anything to be 21 and never have tasted that poison...oh the things I would do over....your young, make it the best life touch can possibly have!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I echo Lil Golden, I wish I were your age when I decided to quit. I have 13 days today and I know this is the only choice for me to be a good mom, wife, and be effective at work. I have an appt w a counselor today. Hang in there, and keep posting here, it really helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome isinganyway

read around and post as much as you like - check out the Class of October thread for other people newly sober...you'll find a ton of support and encouragement here.

When I first came here my drinking had nearly killed me but I still wasn't totally committed to the idea of quitting for good.

See my story over and over again in other peoples stories helped convince me. Seeing the joy, the happiness and the purpose in other peoples sober lives here helped convince me too

stick around

D
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. It's definitely a blessing and a curse being here.

I'm glad to know that I have this problem, but I really miss drinking and never felt out of control... I'm doing this out of fear of messing up my life in the future. Which is hard. My therapist is himself an alcoholic and is very insistent that I don't "pick up" as it were... I want to see if I can drink in moderation (never really tried, lol) but part of me knows it's not a good idea.

The other problem is that my partner is also an addict (weed more than drinking, but definitely drinks habitually as well). I love him, but I don't know if I can be with someone who is using while I am trying to get sober.