Notices

Why on Earth am I soooo nervous!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Why on Earth am I soooo nervous!

My husband of 7 years recently admitted he was an addict! Finally!!!! (happy dance)
Anyway, by talking to a couple of ladies associated with his recovery group, that plus my extreme cluelessness as to what to do to be appropriately supportive of him, I've been seriously considering going to Nar-Anon. The ladies I talked to even directly recommended this.

It sounded like a really good idea. However the closer I get to actually going to a meeting the more nervous, & I might even say terrified, I get at the prospect of going. Like it was even a little nerve-wracking signing up here. Is something wrong with me? I should be happy & want this, right?

I felt incredibly relieved after talking to the women I mentioned previously so why am I so scared to take this next step? We (the hubby & I) have a 2 year old daughter who I rarely leave with others & if this meeting doesn't have childcare I can most likely find a sitter but that sort of scares me too!

What's wrong with me? Sorry if I'm being a drama queen. Just trying to be honest.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Rosie
I think the loved ones get just as nervous as the addict does when it's time for help, and yes you have to recover as well, so I really think this would be quite normal. Read around here a bit, and you'll find a friends and family forum on this site. I think you'll find all kinds of support there.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it makes a lot of sense because this is a big step. It's a huge change from the way things have been and its only natural to be nervous about change and the unknown.

I can also see that this may be sort of a public acknowledgement of the problem which is another scary thing to deal with. Admitting to a problem is a necessary but not sufficient (just heard that phrase from my therapist today) part of dealing with the problem. So, you are admitting there is a problem and the next step is 'fixing' it which is something new and scary.

Good luck to you and I hope you find this site to be as valuable a resource as I have.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rosie

I've never been to Al-Anon or Nar-Anon myself but some of my best friends here have, and they're the loveliest people you could hope to meet.

I hope you'll hear from some of them here

You might like to also check out our Family and Friends boards as well:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

good to have you with us
D