Staying in shape

Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying in shape

You know how when you exercise, and you get sick or busy and don't do it for a couple of weeks, your body slowly loses its fitness?

It's the same thing with Working A Program.

I had this insight last night. It's really like a workout program. I can't rest on my laurels with my workouts or my recovery. Like they say up here -- salmon has to keep moving upstream, or they'll find themselves downstream.

So the new man in my life came over to have dinner with me and the kids. It was a normal everyday weekday dinner, he just happened to stop by. First, he was disappointed in the dinner I had made -- he's a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy and the kids had asked me to make something Asian. Then he was grumbling about something work-related. He was just not in a great mood. A doom-and-gloom attitude I haven't seen in him before.

And I immediately stepped into codie mode. I got nervous and wanted to make him a burger since he wasn't crazy about the dinner I had cooked. I felt edgy and nervous because he was in a bad mood. And then I got mad at him for being in a bad mood and shut down. Shut him out. Got quiet and just stopped talking to him.

I can see every step of the way where I fell right back into complete codependency: I made his feelings my own, I took responsibility for his feelings, I even took responsibility for his taste in food, for eff's sake! And then I got mad at HIM because I took all of that on.

*sigh*

Back to my program. Every day, you know. It works so much better that way. Just like working out does. Right now, I couldn't run five miles and right now, I can't function as a normie either. Good to know. Now for some action.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old habits are hard to break, lillamy. But you were able to recognize it today - that's great!

So did you make that burger after all? ; )
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

You saw what was happening and that is huge!!!! Be kind to yourself. Like riding a bike hop back on and keep going!

I so admire all your posts, you are doing awesome and are inspirational!

4MyBoys
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

An ill-tempered, ill-mannered (since when do they get to complain about the menu?), unexpected guest would get under my skin when I have already prepared an nice meal for me and my children to enjoy.

I guess knowing what to do with those feelings is why I need the program.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He looked at me like I was nuts when I suggested it and said, "Seriously? I can make myself a sandwich!"

He's a good egg. I'm just a little beat up around the edges. I'll heal.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Just point him at the bread and meat then.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Point? In my house, the rule is that if you're over the age of 3 and you can't find the bread and meat yourself, you deserve to stay hungry. :lol

(See, that's what I'm aiming for. My codie self still makes school lunches for my kids who all have ages with two digits.)