Notices

Hi, new here

Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new here

Hello everyone,

I have been registered here for a while but been too scared to post.
I have problems with binge drinking. I dont drink everyday but I go out and get so drunk I dont even know where I live and I embarrass myself. Everytime I tell myself Ill not do it again but I do. Especialy round certain people, who I am gonna try and stop seeing. Im like a totally different person Its like I have an evil twin who takes over my body almost.

I had a time last week when I blacked out I cant remember anything and my "friends" put me into a male friend of friends house. Think nothing happened but so ashamed I got so drunk (again) that I couldnt remember where I live.
I want to cry and I went to my doctor and he was really unhelpful and said I look mature enough to deal with it and not even a referral to counselling.

I want to give up alltogether but I find it hard cause all my friends drink and my family and partner. I want this so much my Mum is an alcoholic and I dont want to end up her way. Im too young and risking too much.

The pain from the last time is still raw and I dont know what to do.

Thanks
CPG
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just want to say welcome
Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! look around there is tons of support here. You will find the answer.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks you two
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, CentralParkGirl. Welcome to SR.

Don't be scared to post here, people at SR support and encourage each other. It's my Day 8 here, and it's much easier to deal with this devil when you can share your fears and concerns.

Stick here and keep posting.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank MidnightBlue.
Im not afraid.
The worst part for me is dealing with other people and telling them Im not drinking then them saying its okay for me to have 'just one' but I dont know when 'just one' is gonna happen or 'just a blackout and stupidity' is gonna happen. I cant control this. Its literally the one thing in my life I dont have control over. Everything else is almost perfect. Its like I have control and responsibility overy everything else so this is the one thing I have been using to not have to have that.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi CentralParkGirl. Welocome to SR. Everyone here is very supportive and non-judgemental so no need to worry. I read way more than I post when I am on SR and it has been a huge help to me and I know it will be to you too.

Best wishes to you!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good idea to stay away from your drinking buddies when you are just getting sober. If you have to be around people that may ask, tell them you're on antibiotics and can't drink. No reason for them to know you've given it up. They will only try to talk you out of it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, it might be best to avoid your friends until you've got some sober time under your belt.

Welcome to the family!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
CentralPartGirl, there is a thread in the forum "What do I tell people", where the question of your concern is discussed. I think you'll find there a lot of good advices as well. And I think Pipparina gave you a good advice here.

It is your decision, the decision your life depends on, so stick to it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quit while your young my dear. Life is too short and I've wasted alot of mine. Good luck. This site is great. Even in my drinking times I make sure I read the postes to remind myself that there is a better way of life. A healthier way of life. Keep posting there is help.
Diana
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome. You have found a home where people understand and do not condem
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warmest welcome everyone. I feel at home already. Will read that thread on what to tell people but love the antibiotics idea.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I'm fairly new too. And a 'only on the weekend binge drinker'. Most of our friends drink. Like if I were to say "No thanks, I'm not drinking" the record would scratch and the whole party would turn to me like "wha?!" I'm still trying to find my place amongst my friends. But most (even my best friend) don't understand and tell me I should just have a couple, and limit ,myself. But, no matter how hard I try, I cannot. I know the best thing for me would to get a Sponsor, so I can actually talk to someone who understands.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi CPG,

Welcome! Your doctor sounds . . . unhelpful. Perhaps get a different one tha has some experience with addiction. There are many ways to get sober. But they all start with not drinking that first drink. It sure sounds like your life is going well except for your binging on alcohol. I know from experience that nothing good is going to come from you continuing down that path.

You call tell people anything you want about why your not drinking. My favorite it to just look the offerer in the eyes and say "No Thanks". You don't owe anyone an explanation. And "No." really is a complete sentence. I will admit when I got sober I was very concerned about what I was going to tell people. I did the medication excuse. I also did the health bit. When I felt a bit silly I'd say something like "No thanks, that stuff tends to get me drunk!" But now I just say "No thanks" and let it to at that. Most people really don't care what I drink.

Keep posting.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

My suggestion is to give it a little thought before you start telling lies to cover up your new sobriety. I tried that too and it made me feel miserable. Recovery is about honestly. I don't mean you need to tell anyone or everyone you've stopped drinking. A simple 'No thanks' should always serve the purpose. And, as others have said, avoiding alcohol and drinking buddies is the best way to get through early recovery.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cinderblock - that's exactly what it's like with all my friends and family when I dont drink. They think somethings wrong with me! Even my partner doesnt get it, I think that it becomes so much more in your head when its a real issue - Id start to think about a drink whenever I was stressed/done/had issues at work, and if things got too much thatd be it and Id black out drink.

Ru12 - Yes he was not good. I dont want this drug to take over my life. I am scared but aware that all it takes is saying no - saying no to myself is a lot harder than if somone offers me a drink and thats what will be the hardest. Ill try to keep posting, thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anna - thanks. It would seem a bit silly if I got to a month or three or whatever and was still saying Im on meds! Ill try to just say no. Got a halloween party coming up soon which is gonna be hard. Its at a home and a bbq etc so I might volunteer to be cook to keep mind off it