Notices

Stopped drinking and now reading Comics.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopped drinking and now reading Comics.

As I have been getting sober I have been watching more movies, and reading comics. I have always loved movies of any type. But, now I am finding great enjoyment of reading comics at age 34. Is that strange? People seem to think it is weird, but I don’t think it is so strange. I like sports, music, etc. but I find reading comics a great escape from the office or thinking of booze. My 3 year old loves the kids Superman and Batman books. Anyway, maybe I am a nerd deep down and finally letting it show as my wife says.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Very cool. You are rebuilding a sober life. I have discovered there are a zillion healthy choices to make that do no involve alcohol. Remembering the end of movie .... what a concept
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ya know walking.... I personally feel if I left all the kids/younger things behind me then I might forget how to be young. Which can lead me to being a grumpy old man.

I am a peanuts fan.... From a very young age. I have about 20 original books from the 60's and 70's. I take them out every now and then to read.

Read your comics. smile and nod yes when anyone says its strange.

K
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing strange about that at all!

Now if you start to change clothes in a phone booth, well, that's a different story. LOL.

Calvin & Hobbes is one of my favorites.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like comics, and my 3 year old daughter now thinks that she is Superman. I think it will be a cool thing to collect and read with her as she gets older. I am loving being able to remember what I read or watched. I love watching sports as well, but this time I will remember the score at the end. I sometimes just smile now because the sun is out. I do like this life better, even though my AV acts up at times.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like the DC and Marvel Comics. My daughter said that she wanted to be Superman, because he helps people.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Walkingwithgod - I love comics!!! They are a great escape for sure - you are not a nerd, or maybe you and I are :/ either way, read away!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Not strange! My son collects the books that give the origin of all Marvel & DC heroes, plus many graphic novels. The artwork's beautiful. He's in his 30's

Whatever it takes to distract ourselves. I started reading again after many years - I couldn't focus before and didn't retain what I read.

You're doing great
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I needed something fun to read, as I usually read about Politics.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Well done Walking!
We are told to grow up! Act our age! And to be responsible and accountable. The problem is many of us throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sure we need to outgrow and throw out the childish behaviors. But many also throw out their childlike sense of wonder, and fun too!

Then there is the word sober itself! If you read the definitions other than not drunk or addicted they pretty much paint a pretty grim picture of all business and no fun!
Sober - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I read a lot, and used to read comics, Marvel mostly, back in the 60s. And I still enjoy the odd one.

Congratulations on learning the most important skill in not drinking anymore - reclaiming your childlike sense of wonder and fun!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a total nerdo. I am 31 and I enjoy manga, anime, video games and graphic novels of all kinds. I am currently on the second compendium of The Walking Dead, its awesome. I enjoy it more while sober though since I can read longer without falling asleep. :p
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess I am not alone then. My daughter picked out a pair of Superman pajamas that came with a cape this weekend. She was so happy, and I am glad I had the extra money as I did not spend it on beer.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I guess I am not alone then. My daughter picked out a pair of Superman pajamas that came with a cape this weekend. She was so happy, and I am glad I had the extra money as I did not spend it on beer.
Now maybe if you bought yourself a matching set with cape, we'd think that was funny. :p
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Your daughter sounds so cute! Fun that you've picked an escape that you can share with her. I'm finding I like revisiting a lot of things I liked in high school, in the days before I was introduced to booze. Walking, 70s music, etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let me tell you dear WWG that if you lived in Belgium or anywhere in Europe for that matter you would see lots and lots of adults reading comic books on trams and trains on there way here and there going to work etc...Herge - Tin Tin (Belgian!) and a mass of other fantastic comic books are very popular and not deemed as childish at all.

If it works stick to it :>) I love Beatrix Potter books in particular Mrs Tiggywinkle and of course my absolute fave Winnie the Pooh.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tmarieg View Post
Now maybe if you bought yourself a matching set with cape, we'd think that was funny. :p
My daughter would love that. My wife and I had to explain to her that just because she had the cape she could not really fly like Superman. My wife had the same pajamas as a kid, and found out the hard way she could not fly. When we were saying our prayers Saturday night my daughter asked to include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Hawkwomen in her prayers.