Notices

Today is my first day

Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Today is my first day

Today, right now at this very moment, I have decided to become free. I just don't know if I can do it. I have tried hypnosis, medicine and a number of other things to stop drinking. I drink about a bottle of wine a night. I realize now that the one bottle is starting not to become enough. SO, last night I had a bottle of white wine and a 24 oz Heineken. I woke up this morning with no hangover, nothing. This behavior scares me. I realize that I want to stop by the store on the way home because I know that at night I'm by myself and lonely. I am the Mother of a lovely teenager and I know I have to stop for her too. I'm tired of not being able to have a decent, healthy relationship because of my drinking. Guys like me, but they can't deal with my drinking. I need help from you all to make it through this. What did you do that very first day and then the next day to help you to stop drinking? I don't want the bottle to be my boyfriend.

Forwardnfree
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi forwardnfree

I didn't want that bottle to be my gf either
I spent a lot of time here the first few days - I think it's a great place to start

you'll find a lot of support here - welcome !

D
Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it...it's not easy, but neither is drinking and all the **** that comes along with it. You have come to the right place and trust me, the work is worth it. Fight, fight, fight for yourself. If alcohol hasn't taken all from you yet, it will if you let it. Stop the madness before it is too late

I'm rooting for you and SR is the right place to be for support and advice when you need it. Or just to say what you need to say when you need to say it. Use every tool you can find and battle the Beast. I say it again: It is worth it, you are worth it, and with the right tools you can be free to live a life free of shame, remorse and guilt because of alcohol.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I drank a lot of lemon flavored water and did a lot of reading here on SR. I also said a ton of prayers too! Everyone's different, but reading and posting will definitely help.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today was day 10 for me, and I have spent s ton of time on SR. I am also going to counseling, and have gone to two AA meetings. I think the Women in Sonriety meetings may be a better choice for me. I spent some time reading on their website today. They have some great principles about taking back your life.

I knew I needed to stop when the bottle of wine was not enough and I have three amazing kiddos who deserve better. Good luck tonight, keep reading and posting!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh honey... My advice is take it day by day... I was drinking for almost 2 years straight(I know, alot of people have messaged me saying that isn't an alcoholic), you have it in you!!! TRUST ME!! I am now on about 100 hours sober, and I feel excellent. I have much much better communication with my 2 daughters and my husband. Take up a hobby, may it be scrapbooking, activities with your daughter, reading, and working out has helped me tremendously. Working out releases endorphines that will help with depression. Message me if needed. This site is amazing and got me through my first 72 hours. Good luck to you honey!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I walked my dogs a lot. It helped.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making such a great choice! You won't regret reclaiming your self and, speaking from experience here, your daughter will respect you tenfold without the wine. Best to you and yours - welcome!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Forwardnfree, welcome to SR.

I am also into wine. Reading and posting here helped me a lot to make it through my Day 8 now. Every time I feel like having wine I open forum.

First days are hard, but it is Ok. Just accept that you may be angry, bored, annoyed, lonely, moody, dead, and all this together. It's like if they did you some surgery, took out something harmful, and when anesthesia is gone and you feel terrible. But you'll feel much better once you take alco out of your blood and your life.

Try exercising/working out, it helps me a lot on my first days. After first days you may need a plan what to do without drinking, what to aim for and be prepared to confront situations when you are tempted to drink.

And you'll find a lot of useful advice here.

Wish you luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello forwardnfree, another wino here, I loved red wine and like you one bottle in the end was not enough so of course as alcoholism is a progressive illness the second was opened.

I went for walks to the gym and visiting friends the first week I was busy all the time even cleaning places in my home that have not been cleaned for years. Best of luck and remember one day and a time
Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

FNF
Welcome. Great insights. Breaking free was the best decision I made 17months ago. It can be done one step at a time. It is an addiction that highjacks the mechanisms of desire. It will all go away if you can stay off the stuff long enough. SR made a big difference for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh i can so relate, when your lonely and you come home to an empty home you just feel lonely and yes that damm bottle is like your boyfriend a very bad boyfriend.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobertime1 View Post
oh i can so relate, when your lonely and you come home to an empty home you just feel lonely and yes that damm bottle is like your boyfriend a very bad boyfriend.
Abusive one that we never leave and keep going back to. Time to curb kick this one!