Notices

Day 21: Long hard road

Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 21: Long hard road

It's been a while since I first posted, but I have stayed strong and have not had a drop of alcohol since I quit at the beginning of the month. Has it been easy? Absolutely not. Temptations are a daily struggle but I am looking within to remain strong.

The positive:
Much more focused at work and more productive.
Saving a lot more money and being financially responsible.
Getting a lot more done in down time.
Lost around 10 pounds so far.

The negative:
Sleep has been sporadic and a struggle.
I am even more anti-social than before it seems almost at a clinical level.
My addictive personality is causing me to replace it (in non-drug/alcohol ways) with other things that I tend to obsess on, such as sex and exercise.

I have done this without going to any meetings because of my social anxiety, but I still have an open mind to attending them in the future. I realize every day is a struggle but am proud of what I have achieved so far. This is the longest I have been sober in at least 10 years.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very similar to you, Stopped october 02, I totally rock at work, I'm productive at home etc. I stopped smoking also last monday, one week tomorow. But I find myself with myself and it's totally weird. I'm also compensating with excercise, cleaning the house, sex ec.

After 20 years of everyday booze, I guess I have to get to know the real me. I also don't feel like socializing right now. But we wil get better my friend. Patience and time is what we need right now.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 21 days sober!

I also found that I was much less social when sober. At first it bothered me, but I gradually accepted it and I am okay with it. Now, I don't socialize as much and I am much more content to be with myself. When I do socialize it's with people who I love and really want to spend time with.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like that post Anna. Maybe I was not that social before the alchool. And I think it's good to be able to be alone and happy with ones self.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 21 days Underthevolcano! x
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations UTV

I think 21 days is still pretty early...it's great progress but it's still just a blip....be gentle on yourself.

like the patman said it takes time to get to discover and know the real us and work out how to live sober and how to deal with that addictive side of us thats still there...

D
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congrats on 3 weeks!! Great job-keep going!

The sleep thing does get better, took me over 2 months to sleep well again. Not only are our brains healing, but there's a lot of clear thinking going on-hard to turn it off at night.

I haven't figured out the social thing yet and it is an issue. A big part of me misses the social lifestyle I had with drinking. I still go down to our local bar and see friends but I'm so bored with it now. The other part wants to be a hermit and never leave the house. Searching for that happy medium where I still have some fun in my life. I think fun has involved drinking for my entire life and I have to relearn what other things might be fun.

Hang in there, you're doing great so far. You have a nice positive list going already