Notices

Alcohol in Supermarkets

Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kza

Alcohol in Supermarkets

I deliberately walked through the alcohol section of a supermarket yesterday almost as a dare to myself and felt alarmed to see all the bargains. Today I avoided the aisle but couldnt help notice a few bargains on the end of the aisle. Is it better to avoid or confront alcohol you see. I couldnt help feeling a bit nostalgic and sorry. There was a great offer on cider, a hugh pack for 15 pounds which until recently I would have bought.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Kza. You've just read my mind, I was about to write about it and ask how other people deal with all these temptations that surround us in supermarkets. So, thank you.

I've been through two different experiences during this week. When I shopped on Wednesday, I merely dragged myself from the wine department and almost run to the cashier not to buy some wine.

Today, I felt no urge at all. I deliberately walked through the department, stopped by the aisles, looked at my favourite Bordeaux. Usually, when I shop in a supermarket, and see all this wine, and nice cheese to go with it, and other delicious things to make a grate dinner... Well, my imagination used to wind me up.

But today I did not want it at all. I even was a little bit concerned: is this beast is just sheltering and waiting for the right moment to attack me?

I think it depends on mood and situation. If there is an urge to buy some alco, I'll better stay away from wine department, if no, then I'll go and dare myself.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

In the early days ( first couple of months) i avoided it as the habbit was to close for comfort .
I quit in september 2011 by the time chrismass came round i just went up it to get alcohol gifts for family no problems.

Now it holds as much interest for me as the baby/nappy/daiper aisle (single guy no kids) and dosn't realy register .

If i felt tempted to drink again i think i'd avoid it.. but i think feeling that i wanted to drink again would mean there is some bigger problem in my life i'd have to get to the bottom of ...

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try Nevada it is everywhere like candy at the check out line. The stores here have it spread out all over the store, impossible to avoid and they do like wine tastings.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I avoided the beer/wine aisle at the supermarket for a long time.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kza

Try the UK where the country seems to be in the grip of a cheap alcohol frenzy. Huge fridge packs of beer and cider as well as 3 for 2 offers on spirits everywhere. 3 litre plastic bottles of high strength beer and cider means you can get wasted for 10 pounds.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I avoided it like the plague when I first quit. It made me want to cry. And then they started putting the booze in the refrigerated meat aisle... I felt like they had done it on purpose just to tempt me.

Now I can walk down the booze aisle and it doesn't bother me, I still feel funny doing it, like am I just automatically gonna pick up some beer..? But that is just something I used to do now. I don't get tempted by bargains though, mainly cos booze is just so expensive and I have no idea how I managed to afford it. I spent way more on booze and fags than I did on all of my other essentials put together. When I see a special offer on booze I just think that it's still way too expensive for something that just kills ya.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

kza, Hi, just a brief thought--they could have been paying you to buy the cider, and you still made the better deal-you did not buy it Best to you, and keep on not buying--Rick
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Here in ye olde PA we have "state stores" for liquor and wine, and beer distributors or package stores for beer.
I haven't seen my beer store guy in a couple months, doubt he misses me lol, though I am pretty sure I put at least one of his kids through college with the money I spent there.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Our grocery store forces you to walk through the produce department first, then through a wine and cheese section in order to get to the rest of the store. For weeks, it was actually painful! Now, it depends on the day. Sometimes I don't notice it, sometimes I give in to the sadness, and other times I pretend to have on blinders and I run the cart through as fast as I can! (Well, as fast as I can without causing too much attention!)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Kza View Post
Try the UK where the country seems to be in the grip of a cheap alcohol frenzy. Huge fridge packs of beer and cider as well as 3 for 2 offers on spirits everywhere. 3 litre plastic bottles of high strength beer and cider means you can get wasted for 10 pounds.
I dunno why I found humor or just did this, but the conversion for 10 GBP = almost $16 USD Exactly...

$16 isn't really "cheap." $16/day or $480/month OR $5840/year!!

Holy crappola! Add $5 for cigarettes on top of that and...$21/day, $630/month, $7665/year!!!

AND I could add another $15/day spent on eating out because I'm too sloshed to even cook for myself...$36/day, $1080/month, $13140/year...

That's anywhere from ~$6000-$13000 of unnecessary spending each year...Pretty ridiculous when I break it down.

AND That's my analytical mind at work.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, I haven't been in a Bargain Booze for nearly 8 months though... I used to go to 2 different ones to get my supplies as well as the supermarket! I keep thinking I should go in and buy some chewing gum or something, but I bet the staff think I died and I don't wanna scare them x
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have often thought how lucky I am that in my quaint state, NO alcohol is sold in supermarkets! The idea still appalls me. All liquor, including beer and wine, is only sold in liquor stores or so called "package stores" adjacent to the bar.

When I travel to other states and see it in supermarkets, I am still shocked. Until about 8 or so years ago, our state did not even SELL alcohol at ALL on Sundays anywhere except in a restaurant / bar. (Blue laws on the books had prohibited Sunday liquor sales since prohibition days.)

Even now, many liquor stores limit their hours on Sundays to something like 12 to 4pm. Even so I managed long ago to become physically dependent on vodka without buying it on Sundays. Just planned ahead. Ugh!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I avoided that department for quite awhile. Later I actually stopped in it and looked around and felt relieved I didn't have to "stock up". Felt a twinge the other day, when I noticed the holiday alcohol display - bubbly bottles. I'm going to put non alcoholic drinks in my festive goblets this year
Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I just went to the store this morning and didn't walk down the isle, I only go that way if I need snacks\chips, one side is beer - the other is snacks, many salty snacks too. They have an isle of the 'specialty' beers & wine that sticks out near the entrance, but I have been able to walk right on past it easily since about my day100 (New Years had just past at that point for me.) For the first three months I mentally drew the skull & cross bones over all alcoholic drinks, but don't have to do that anymore. What got me was the cheap beer at our drug stores here (Walgreens) sells six packs for 2.79 or something like that. It made me sad in a way, but I just had to laugh a little that I would have never left their parking lot had I still been drinking.
You will get there.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I always walk down the alcohol aisle in my local mini supermarket. Its the one directly in front of the doors. I could choose another way but what I want is right at the end of the aisle so lazyness makes me walk up it. I don't have an issue with seeing alcohol. I do have an issue with people drinking close to me. If I am in a restaurant its ok but if I am in someones flat (apartment) they normally ask before drinking in front of me. Similarly, a bit tmi but I didn't have a problem kissing my ex partner when she had been drinking. I always got a slight taste of her lips and it didn't bother me much. I won't be doing it with any future partners though.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kza..there will come a time if your sobriety is maintained that seeing alcohol..even being around others drinking won't be an issue. You will see it for what it is, simply the substance that will send you to an early grave if you consume it. I do sincerely hope that time comes quickly.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I avoid them when ever possible. teasing my addiction is not a good idea
Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Supermarkets in Florida only sell wine and beer, not spirits (hard liquor), but some have adjacent liquor stores which require you to exit the supermarket and use a different door to enter their liquor store. I think this is a plus. I struggle at times with the cheese and wine isle of my local supermarket and sometimes go in do my thing and the wine isle doesn't cross my mind. This problem of our is tricky. We have got to stay one step ahead of it. Vigilance is the answer for me these days, as in recognizing the alcohol related thoughts as they form in my mind and making sure these powerless thoughts aren't infused with action. It takes our action for them to prosper.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I'm ok with the Supermarkets here in the UK. Usually Mr Hexi and I shop together. He takes a stroll down the alcohol aisle. I go in to look at the soft drinkings (only a few in with the alcohol) and then leave him to it and spend sometime looking at the fruit juices and extra special soft drinks in the next aisle. We meet up by the chocolate.

This week we have had a busy week and my schedule meant I had time to do the supermarket shop by myself. My husband was quite amazed I arrived home with some speciality beers for him. He only has a couple over the weekend - 4 max. He would have got me my favourite soft drinks if he had gone so it is only right in my mind that I get his beer when I go.

I have been pleasantly surprised that I can do this - be around alcohol etc.
As for the supermarkets being littered with stuff over Christmas - so what - lead me to the chocolate, teas, coffees and lovely extra expensive hot chocolate - well I am worth it and I am saving loads of money now.