Notices

My very first drinking dream!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My very first drinking dream!

Haha! What a letdown! Years ago I used to do drugs; not very much. I liked acid and mushrooms quite a bit, and I liked painkillers washed down with booze (yikes! Not good for you, I know!). But I was never a "druggie." Drugs were an occasional treat, and I didn't really hang out with any users so it was pretty rare to actually score anything. Back then I had one buddy that also used and the only times I ever did drugs was with him. He ended up moving almost 15 years ago.

Well, last night I dreamed that he was back in town and stopped by my house. He had a 1/4 oz of boomers and asked if I wanted any. Well, hell why not? I thought in the dream. I'm a drunk, not a druggie! So I eat some shrooms and I'm having a good ol' time when he asks if I want a Beam & Coke. Well, it doesn't make sense to try to get drunk while tripping on shrooms but it's a dream, right? At any rate I have a B&C and after a few sips I'm immediately overcome with guilt and remorse. F*ck! I think in my dream. Why'd I do that? I kicked booze and I've effed it up!

Right then I woke up. At first I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or if I'd really had a drink. With an incredible sense of relief I realized I was safe in my bed. But it was a scare!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ah yes, I remember my first using dream. It was realistic that when I woke up I was pretty convinced I had relapsed, blacked out and somehow made it back to my bed. They happen to most people who enter recovery. I used to have them on a daily basis when I first stopped using. Then they stopped happening as often, then they got less intense. I now only have them very occasionally. I think they are generally quite helpful as they are so realistic when you feel that remorse about relapsing it's genuinely the same remorse you would get if you actually did relapse.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The funny thing is I wouldn't really feel all that bad if I did some shrooms! But I was really p!ssed when I thought I drank! Yeah, the dream scared me enough to reinforce my resolve not to let a relapse occur when I'm awake.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I know you identify as an alcoholic but I think you know damn well if you picked up a drug you'd be straight onto the booze. I identify as an addict. Decided to pick up a bottle one day. BANG. Straight onto the narcotics. It's a dangerous game to play.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha! Yeah, pretty much the truth. I was joking about not minding doing drugs. If I did it would be a short slide down that slippery slope to being drunk every day. All I left now is caffeine!