Notices

Ambitious achievements being sober.....

Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ambitious achievements being sober.....

Apart from the obvious that being sober is an ambitious achievement. I am interested to learn what people have achieved after they stopped drinking...specifically did the decision to stop drinking make you more ambitious, did you realize an ambitious goal that you never thought you would achieve? Did you get that promotion....did you get a new job? Start a business etc? Make partner.

Myself even after 50days sober I have taken on extra work that before I would have not done because it took up my drinking time or too hungover (beaten up by alcohol) to even consider extra work.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't quite worked up the motivation to achieve anything material yet, but I have developed an ability to take care of myself in a way which is totally alien to my previously self destructive tendencies. Plus giving up smoking, that's better than a promotion financially
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lost any motivation to earn more ££..Just glad to be sober and feeling more healthy, Love to achieve a sub 27 min 5k run.. Can it happen

Cliché but health is wealth !
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL recovery's done nothing for my ambition I'm afraid...I'm still essentially the same person - but I'm ok with that now, more than I've ever been...

Recovery has done a lot for my contentment and peace.
Lots more meaning in my life too

D
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I haven't quite worked up the motivation to achieve anything material yet, but I have developed an ability to take care of myself in a way which is totally alien to my previously self destructive tendencies. Plus giving up smoking, that's better than a promotion financially
Ditto on that... Between quitting smoking and drinking, I'm saving about $20/day. That adds up fast.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 58 today and I find that I am doing the same thing. I'm taking on more work than I usually would at the office again. I didn't try to push it on to something or someone else this time. While I still get squirrelly and feel like drinking once in a while (I have no desire to even lie to myself that I could drink moderately -- I wouldn't want to ever do that -- why does anyone drink moderately? :P ), I feel a lot more peace in life already. Just a lot less anxiety and no horrible hangovers in the mornings anymore. And yes, not to mention the money I'm saving by not going out to buy booze every night. Of course, now that money has sort of been funnelled into my AA program instead. But it's a good trade-off, especially since we're talking about life or death here essentially (as much as I may be glib about it I know it).
Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think being sober may actually begin to involve me working less at some point. It is becoming apparent that it is threatening my well-being. As long as we have enough money to pay the bills, I'm fine with that x