Notices

How AA is helping me.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How AA is helping me.

I had 29 days sober, was in the September class, posted most days but was only kind of dipping a toe into AA. I kinda felt that because I was having no cravings, that maybe I didn't need it. I lost momentum with going to meetings. I also fell into a horrible depression, mainly I think because I felt so isolated. SR is a wonderful place but for me, I need to force myself to get out of the house and meet people or else I get to isolated.

Anyway, crashed, two days drinking. Afterwards, I went straight back to meetings and got a sponsor. We have an arrangement where I call her everyday and go to a meeting every day. Today we went to a meeting together and then out for lunch afterwards. It's so wonderful to be able to tell all this stuff to someone and for them to assure you you're not alone and this is part of the process. I'm only on day 11 but I know I'm on the right path.

I know AA isn't for everyone and there are other methods of recovery. I suppose this post is for anyone scared of trying a few meetings. It's really, really worth it. (and this is coming from the most unspiritual person you could meet!)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a reason AA has been around so long and has helped so many people....I think you figured out what it is...Good for you!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps AA is for everyone .... just everyone isn't for AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I find that statement very offensive Bob.
maybe this thread belongs in the 12 step forum?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only reason I posted it here was because a good few newcomers post that they want to try AA but are scared to go. Thought it might be helpful as I'm a newcomer myself. Wasn't intended to offend anyone!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

not you eli, it's the responses like the one made above that are offensive and disrespectful to people that follow other methods. It's all well and good that AA works for you and you want to discuss it....

but the constant promotion of AA in the the type of statement that was made in response is grating for many.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Fandy, I find the ignore button handy, especially for folks who have trouble with Tradition 11.

Eli, it sounds like you have found the answer to your puzzle. Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

eli , I don't think Fandy was referring to you from my reading of the thread.

Glad you found AA can work for you and like I found , it takes making a commitment to go to meetings , get a sponsor and do the step work to get the most out of it. I can't say I have found it easy this time around, I started and stepped out in 2010, as I am truly doing what the work but I sure don't feel alone either.

From what I can see , an open mind is a true benefit to whatever method or program one chooses to get sober and start the path to recovery.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Fandy, I find the ignore button handy, especially for folks who have trouble with Tradition 11.

yes, attraction not promotion....

(i don't promote the Fandy method either)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post

Was that really necessary?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
There is a reason AA has been around so long and has helped so many people....I think you figured out what it is...Good for you!!!
It's relatively new and in actual fact doesn't work for most people.

The self-recovered crowd, on the other hand,have been around almost as long as drink itself.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elihoping View Post
Yes. Naming no names but a simple search on Google show's that certain AA shills post the same responses to people over and over again, regardless of the original question.

Google this if you don't believe me:

site:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/ "Please Google and read AA's"
I'm sure this post will get removed but I would like to mention to the mods, from personal experience—and as a helpless long-time lurker—these types of posts are dangerous and off-putting.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
not you eli, it's the responses like the one made above that are offensive and disrespectful to people that follow other methods. It's all well and good that AA works for you and you want to discuss it....

but the constant promotion of AA in the the type of statement that was made in response is grating for many.
Yes, statements like, "Perhaps AA is for everyone .... just everyone isn't for AA," offend me too.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
eli , I don't think Fandy was referring to you from my reading of the thread.

(respectfully snipped)
From what I can see , an open mind is a true benefit to whatever method or program one chooses to get sober and start the path to recovery.
that's it... thanks!

personally i find "the doctor's opinion" to be outrageously outdated along with a good portion of the other literature. but if it's helpful to some people, it's a good thing.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Horses for course people.

Congratulation Eli on finding your sober path. I am happy for you. AA works for me too but I appreciate it is not everyone's cup of tea. Sounds like it the kind of programme you want to follow - Welcome aboard. As well as AA I find an awful lot of good information, learnings and advice on SR from AAers and people following any sober recovery programme. This place is a mine of information and support
Keep us updated on your journey.

PS - I am unsure why people find Bob's post offensive but let's just leave that shall we.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by elihoping View Post
There was a girl one evening who had been cutting, was getting really frightened about continuing, and asked us for help on this forum. One of the responses she received was a suggestion to go to an AA meeting. Other responses included the phone number for a 24 hr self-harm helpline near her location. So, yes, sometimes we do forget about Tradition 11.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I note with interest the number of disparaging comments, from people who don’t use AA, in a thread entitled “How AA is helping me”. This ax grinding gets old and IMO is against this forums stated rules.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I note with interest the number of disparaging comments, from people who don’t use AA, in a thread entitled “How AA is helping me”. This ax grinding gets old and IMO is against this forums stated rules.
I couldn't agree more....It's constant.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
well said.

good on ya eli. keep goin back and youll get weller and know how we feel when people "get it."
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Perhaps AA is for everyone .... just everyone isn't for AA.

All the best.

Bob R
To me; this statment comes across as there is something *wrong* with the people who follow another path to stay sober, happy and healthy. The statement that Bob made comes across as condescending...(but TG he didn't use the giant bold capitol letters this time, shouting is so rude too)

I read all the forums on different methods, discussion is healthy when it isn't all one-sided. This is the NEWCOMERS forum...it's for a lot of people to see how other newcomers are doing...