Notices

i am afraid of what will happen

Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i am afraid of what will happen

I am afraid of losing my job and basically losing everything now. Tuesday ws the big day for me when I admitted to having a problem and went through detox. I know I have to rehab but I feel like I have already lost everything I own and will be living on the streets soon. I am so scared..
I have so messed up my life and now I feel it is beyond repair why did this have to happen...
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I felt that way, too, jklivin. My first days without alcohol were among the scariest of my life. But looking back from a distance, I now see them differently, as the beginning of my new life. Hang in there, and I believe you will find this to be true of you, as well.

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

did you lose your job?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went through the same thing...I was alone and terrified...All I can tell you is have faith...You can get out of it and regain your life..Better than it ever was....You just have to walk through the fear and put in the effort. Fear is the great enemy of recovery...I read that somewhere and really liked it. Hang in there!!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this and while this not be very comforting right now, just know that it will get better when you get the alcohol out of your life. Jobs are huge things to lose, but in reality there is only one sober you and millions of jobs out there. Dont get me wrong, I understand that your livelihood and income is in jeopardy but sobriety will take you places in your job, your life, and your peace of mind that you can never replace. Its scary to not know what you are doing next, but if you can make this commitment towards sobriety no matter what, you are very likely to find a whole new life.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was at an AA meeting last night and the speaker talked about how he was homeless for a few years (like living in a park homeless). He now has 12 years sobriety and runs his own business. I know you may feel hopeless but recovery is possible. I am sure there will be people available in rehab that will point you in the right direction to help you get back on your feet. Hang in there ((hugs))
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I went through the same thing...I was alone and terrified...All I can tell you is have faith...You can get out of it and regain your life..Better than it ever was....You just have to walk through the fear and put in the effort. Fear is the great enemy of recovery...I read that somewhere and really liked it. Hang in there!!
I like that - fear is the enemy.. then I must defeat fear!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, fear is the enemy, for sure. I went through those feelings too and couldn't imagine being able to cope with everything. My suggestion is to take it slow and try to take some positive steps each day. Prioritize what you want to accomplish and do something each day to move in that direction. It will help you to feel you are moving forward with your life.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, fear is the enemy, for sure. I went through those feelings too and couldn't imagine being able to cope with everything. My suggestion is to take it slow and try to take some positive steps each day. Prioritize what you want to accomplish and do something each day to move in that direction. It will help you to feel you are moving forward with your life.
^^^^^ This.^^^^^

Also, doesn't it make sense that you stand a greater chance of losing your job due to drinking than to taking steps toward recovery? I don't know what kind of work you do, but surely they would rather you be a healthy member of the workforce than a drunk.

Not everyone needs rehab, so maybe you could do it on an out-patient basis. If inpatient rehab is required, then you may be able to take family medical leave for a month or two and you can't be fired. The only decision you have to make today is to not drink.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

One of our SR members (Least) taught me that when all else fails, try gratitude. Even on those days when I couldn't find anything positive in my life, I could be grateful for enough to eat that day, to be able to walk and talk, to have people that care about me, etc..... It really did help.

Also - You may want to check into the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). It protects people from losing their jobs due to taking time off for medically-related issues.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The FMLA protects you for taking time off for rehab programs. It doesn't cover "I was hung over" days. On my job people ask about FMLA, so I have to know something.

If you have not informed the employer and you can work, go work. If you cannot work, you need to talk to the employer.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can not change your past but you can accept it & build a brighter future.
Only good will come.
We are here for you.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR jklivin. This is a great place for hope and healing. I think you'll find comfort in being here - we all understand. You're never alone.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You haven't lost everything, jklivin; on the contrary, you're about to embark on the only path that will lead you back to the light. Make no mistake- booze will only lead you further down the path to ruin. Have you lost everything? No, there's always something more to lose, a way to dig the hole you're in even deeper.

But there's hope. You can change it. No matter how far you've descended into the depths, you can climb back out again. You just have to quit drinking. Quit now. Do whatever it takes. Take that first step and everything will begin to get better. Now I won't blow smoke up your skirt- there will still be things that suck, and you'll still have to pay the piper for the mistakes you've made. But eventually things will improve.

No use runnin' if you're runnin' the wrong way. Once you realize you're lost the first step is to STOP.