Notices

Tonite's the night I'd normally have gotten hammered...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonite's the night I'd normally have gotten hammered...

Well, a few weeks ago this is one of those nights I'd have gotten hammered! I'm a chef, and we got effin' run over tonite. Pheasant season opens tomorrow and we had the highest sales we've done since Mother's Day. And while it normally dies off around 8:00-ish, we got railed all the way up til 10:00!

It used to be after a night of getting wailed on we'd all go out drinking. Or I'd pick up 3-4 bottles (or a box) of wine and proceed to drink it all. Of course, I'd wake up feeling like I fell down an elevator shaft which would make my 11 hour Saturday shift a living hell. Which of course would lead me to go out and buy another few bottles to de-stress.

So tonite was weird. I almost caught myself saying, "Man, I'm gonna destroy a few bottles tonite!" But then I remembered I won't be drinking at all. It was actually funny. Sure, it would be fun to get loaded but the older I get the harder the aftermath is. As Carlin said, when you start out drinking and/or drugging there's lots of pleasure and very little pain- but after years and years of doing it you reach the point where there's very little pleasure and a lot of pain. I kept this vicious cycle up for years after the pain began to overshadow the pleasure. WTF was I thinking?

So tonite I'm sitting in front of the computer on SR, drinking a club soda. I know I'll get a good night's sleep and feel like million bucks tomorrow. The other guys will straggle in, bloodshot eyes, ten minutes late looking like something the cat dug up...and I'll just laugh!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it, Myth. I'm drinking (non-alcoholic) gingerbeer, back on day one.
Being a chef can be stressful during busy times. (I have a chef friend who tells me all about it.)
You have made the right choice and will only cope better with stress in the future.
Now if I can only take my own advice...
Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you MOS

D
Old 10-20-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good on you Myth