sharing with friends that dad is an addict

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sharing with friends that dad is an addict

My dad is a heroin addict. I'm 20 years old, and have not told any of my friends. I feel like they wouldn't understand, although right now they're confused because I've been really upset lately. My dad has lost his job, our home, I've watched him go through detox, spent a few months away from him while he was at a half way home, and now my parents are split. It's a lot to take on by myself, but like I said, I don't feel like anyone would understand.

I still love my dad, and I'm proud that he's been clean from heroin for almost 4 months now.

Did anyone share with their friends? How do you explain it's a disease and even though he's hurt me and my family by taking part in this, he didn't ask for it.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My friends know that my sister is a heroin addict. For a long time, it was the deep dark family secret. Eventually I found that I couldn't let anyone close to me anymore, and that I was missing out on big parts of what it is to be human... all to keep a secret that hasn't got much to do with me anyway. If you truly believe that you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it, then why not take the chance to receive support?

A couple of friends, as it turned out, also had family members who were drug addicts! So not only did they totally understand where I was coming from, it was a huge help and relief that we weren't alone in this.

As for explaining that drug addiction is a disease etc... I'd say don't bother. At this time I think you should focus on telling your friends about your father so that they a: know why you're upset, and b: so that they can support you. Instructing them about his addiction isn't going to help you.