Notices

Day 2: extremely irritated

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2: extremely irritated

I'm now 36 hours without a drink. I'm just sitting around waiting to vomit. I'm extremely tired from getting literally 1 hour(broken up) sleep last night. I know they say to eat, but I literally just can't. No, I don't want a drink, but I'm irritated. Not sure if it's because I'm tired as all get out or if that's just a regular withdrawal symptom. It doesn't help that my 3 year old daughter has been an absolute pain today. My heartbeat is way better, no fever, and no more hand shaking. I keep praying the worst is over(besides the insomnia). Should I force myself to eat?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Can you get some soup down? Maybe some crackers? Eating something is probably a good idea. I remember day 3 being bad mentally. I was totally cranky, tired, and fed up. Day 4 was much better.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi taramaree,

Sorry you are feeling so lousy. I know that sleeplessness and nausea and irritability too well and it is awful. And I also know how doubly awful it is to feel like that and have small kids needing your care and attention. Stay strong, keep your resolve, it will pass.

Sitting around waiting to vomit is very familiar too, and it's miserable. Obviously everybody is different, but I usually found that when I couldn't keep fluids down, food was not going to stay put either. Definitely keep hydrated. Sometimes plain water came right back up so I tried: gatorade, coconut water, green tea with a little sugar, sometimes even water with sugar. I could always tell when I was out of the woods when my appetite came back. Then it would be toast, yogurt, fruit, maybe some scrambled eggs. When I was still actively nauseous, people would suggest eating some toast--but frankly, if I was going to get sick, I was going to get sick. Had to wait for it to pass.

Good to hear the fever and tremor is gone, but if anything gets worse, please call the doctor or go to the ER.

Hang in there!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing great!

Try some beef boullion cubes in a hot mug. It will settle your stomach. Follow with lots of ice water.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi taramaree,

Crackers were my friend, those toasteds butter type crackers, and drinking some apple-grape juice. I think that was late on day 3. At first I drank water and diet iced green tea though it did make my throw up so I just sipped it. Sleep got better after maybe 2 weeks. First I slept 3 or 4 hours, then 5, then 6, and now at 2 months I sleep well. It does get better. It was a major effort to help my daughter get ready for school too. Now it's a breeze. ((taramaree))
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all! Yes, I'm keeping hydrated. I actually made tomato soup with cracked black pepper. Reminded me of a bloody Mary, and dumped it! Vegetable beef it is. Good thing is my sister is a RN, She will be checking out all my vitals/blood pressure and pulse tomorrow as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you're feling better Tara, maybe get outside for a walk if your up for it... The fresh air and movement will feel good.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going through a similar thing. I am determined to fight through it. I know how you feel. My nerves are raw. I drank every day for the past 4 years. This is the third time in my life since my 30's that I quit drinking. Keep up the good fight. I am drinking water like crazy.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey taramaree - i was totally in same cranky place yesterday - sucks - but today I woke up feeling better - i've relapsed before, the first week is super hard, just stick to it as best you can and it does get better
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Tara,

You keep going. You'll get it in fits and starts. Your body is just getting used to you not drinking. It's purging itself. Although it is hard to eat at the moment you probably should as your immune system is going to be completely shot. Try eating fruit, veg and carbs such as pasta. You should be able to eat a very little amount but still feel the full benefits of it.

It will get better. You will feel ill but it will pass if you just keep taking it a day at a time. Get some multivitamins and some iron pills from the local supermarket. You're body is screaming out for nutrients.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Taramaree,

Don't give up. Stick with it. Tomorrow morning you will be so proud of yourself that you maintained your resolve to get healthy not only for yourself, but for your child.

The bad stuff will pass. It's only temporary. Don't give up.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hope you feel better soon. Day 2 was the worst for me, too. It's tough having a 3 year old when you're not feeling well.

Hang in there.....
Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your doing well, stick with it.

I also couldn't eat, so just I ate when I wanted, I didn't force myself, but keep drinking lots of water or juice, try to stay busy, take your mind off things.

Kids can be a pain, but also bring joy, remember they are probably the main reason you are doing this, have some fun with them if you can.

Great start, it will eventually get better, everyone of us has gone through similar experiences but all slightly different, but we are here to support and help as much as we can.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ginger snaps can help settle the stomach. Take care of yourself and your little one. The good thing is you never have to feel this way again.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy to report, I'm now on day 3, about 65 hours after I've had my last drink. No more shakes, thinking very clearly, and possibly a fast heartrate, but no symptoms other than those.I'll find out today after I see my sister. I'm thinking I should be in the clear. No hallucinations at all, slept pretty dang well last night considering it was only my 2cd night sober in a while. Hope everyone else is doing well!!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great news Tara, glad youre well! Keep at it, you can do this.