Notices

I drove to get a pizza.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drove to get a pizza.

I am very happy over the smallest thing. Last night after my first AA meeting I came home and helped my wife get my daughter ready for bed. It was 8pm and I was thinking I wanted a pizza, and the wife agreed. I was so happy that at 8pm or so I could actually drive sober to get the pizza, and then we watched American Horror Story. I guess it is the little things that I am enjoying most now, as before I would have been too smashed by 6pm and unable to drive. My wife was very happy, and we had a nice evening just hanging out.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It is the little things that I took for granted that now make me happiest. I went out for a meal with recovery friends when I came back from rehab. It was probably the nicest feeling I have ever experienced.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I love not having to plan everything around my drinking. Things like going to getting a pizza sober instead of, "I really do not want to go out" because you know you are to drunk to drive even though a pizza sounds wonderful. Being sober is sooooooo much better.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound like you have something you've been missing....Hope....That's a good thing.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now I am hungry, and I want pizza!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's wonderful to hear you sounding so positive.

Good for you!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Moments like that make you realize how much drinking controlled your life before. Such a relief to be free to make all kinds of choices. Glad you had such a nice night!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I'm getting one today, pizza and don't need to take back roads or have delivered. Good job
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's not a small thing walking with god. That's a huge thing.

Unless you're a reckless alcoholic, there are times when for one reason or another you end up hunkered down in your house.

My friend, who's a history buff, told me about some king. He could have anything he wanted. He wanted a particular woman and had one of his servants go get her. He was up in a tower drinking wine. Eventually the servant returned with the woman, who was visible on the ground from the king's window. He sent her away because he was too drunk.

It's great to be able to drive without worrying about it. Of course, I didn't worry about it before. There's a liquor store a 5 min. walk from me, but it was after 11:30pm and the only place selling beer was Safeway, so into the car I got. A DUI ensued.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Being free to go out for pizza is awesome!! I definitely spent plenty of time "hunkered down". I even called it that! lol. But now I don't have to hunker down. I can feel good, dress nicely, and go anywhere I want.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ya made me smile with this post. Good for you. And good for your wife to have you back.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wife just called and asked what we should have for dinner tonight... Pizza it is! Great post, sobriety has opened a lot of the doors that Booze closed on me.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is so nice to just hang with my wife and watch and watch tv/movie and enjoy a pizza. It is so simple, but normally I would be passed out or have no idea what I was watching. I am glad this forum exists so that we can communicate what works for us, and our achievements small or big.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Agreed WWG, it's great living life sober! I just feel freedom that I never felt before, since alcohol is not in the picture. Doing the little things, day in/day out, with the wife and family, things that I used to miss out on, are bringing joy to my life!!!

FYI - - I'm going to the Colts/Browns game Sunday with my wife (one of my vendors gave me a pair of sweet club seats on 45 yd line!!! oh yeah!!). I will be able to enjoy the game at Lucas Oil without spending $50 on beer, and will be able to drive safely home from Indy without worrying about a DUI!! We go to maybe 1 game a year if I'm lucky, and I've never gone sober..... totally looking forward to it!!!! Go COLTS!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, WWG!

You did it! You made it to your first AA meeting!

Glad you were able to go out to pick up pizza and enjoy sober time with your wife. I'm celebrating the fact that you conquered another hurdle and made it to a meeting...it took a while, but what is most important is that you made it.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean walking, I now watch and enjoy movies I have already watched, but was usually intoxicated at some point midstream so remember next to none of them. Missed a lot of good studs!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow there is an ipad typo I must restate, stuff not studs....
Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL, needsassistance!! I guess it's whatever you're into...... ;-)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lol, as they said on Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with that"...