Notices

Aa

Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here who suggested I give AA a try. I'm just starting 90 meetings in 90 days and this time around I really feel differently about it. I like it. I'm in a much different space than when I first tried it, 20 years ago. I have a lot more to lose, 20 years older, and my alcoholism has taken be a lot farther down. So I'm appreciative and grateful and happy to be among people who understand how I feel all the way through... being scared, grateful, angry, selfish, sad, all of it without judging.

I just wanted to put this in the newcomers' forum (which I am too, 7 days sober) because it really helped me to go. At the very least I am in a safe place for an hour where I can't do anything stupid.

I hope it's ok that I posted this here.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you decided to go backbeat

D
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sound like you're ready....Get yourself a sponsor to show you the way and enjoy the ride. Congrats on a week and on doing 90 in 90....That helped me a lot..Coming up on 16 months...Work the steps and change your life!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good for you!
Sounds like that took some courage to find out a truth. "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." Wayne Dyer
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good show backbeat. I am half way to 90 in 90 ..actually I will probably have more than 90 meetings in 90 days as I often can do two meetings a day.

I went out for two years on my first try at AA in 2010 and probably could have used the help AA always had a long time ago.I am finding this time I am fully involved and have a great sponsor and crew of old timers helping me and its made a world of difference. The key for me was I was willing to got to any lengths as my alcoholism had dragged me down so far I was at my turning point.

I find that I am not obsessed or craving alcohol right now and haven't for a while. I am taking care of myself so that helps but I am also not fighting things with my will and hanging on by my finger nails wondering if I can hold out another minute. I guess surrender really has helped me.

Hope you have a great 24
Old 10-19-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Fair play backbeat. I always wanted to try 90 in 90 but there just isn't enough meetings near me. I hope it all goes well. Let us know how it goes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news backbeat.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great idea, backbeat! 90 in 90 is a great target!

I logged every meeting I went to, in my little journal .... date, time, place, and even comments (who spoke, discussion topic, etc.) This way I can track my progress to my goal.
I'm about 11 days from finishing that goal, having gone to 75 meetings so far in 79 days. I actually put a schedule together for the next 11 days, on which days I will double and triple-up, so I can truly achieve the 90 in 90! I know it's a matter of semantics, but to me it's a matter of principle, I want to say truthfully that I did 90 in 90..... not 83 in 90, or 79 in 90, or 87 in 90. When I say I did 90 in 90, I want to know in my heart that I did just that. So I'll be busy the next week-and-a-half, but that's OK, because I love going to meetings!

Johnny
Sobriety Date: August 1, 2012
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You rock! I know it has helped me immeasurably. For me, finding a sponsor and starting the steps was key. Good for you.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people here who suggested I give AA a try. I'm just starting 90 meetings in 90 days and this time around I really feel differently about it. I like it. I'm in a much different space than when I first tried it, 20 years ago. I have a lot more to lose, 20 years older, and my alcoholism has taken be a lot farther down. So I'm appreciative and grateful and happy to be among people who understand how I feel all the way through... being scared, grateful, angry, selfish, sad, all of it without judging.

I just wanted to put this in the newcomers' forum (which I am too, 7 days sober) because it really helped me to go. At the very least I am in a safe place for an hour where I can't do anything stupid.

I hope it's ok that I posted this here.
AA was my "last resort" too. Almost like God saved the best for last

You are on the right track now. All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm glad you've found something that works for you!