Notices

Scared to death... But so ready.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to death... But so ready.

Update: So I went to the Dr, who absolutely refused any medication(librium, or other Benzo's).. She actually started crying and begging me to go to an inpatient facilty. That is not an option, as our healthy insurance is all jacked up. Can someone please tell me how much you were drinking and if you withdrew Cold Turkey with no medication. Like I said earlier, I have been drinking almost daily for 2 years, and about a pint of vodka a night mixed with Diet pop. I am so scared to get to the 24-72 timeframe and possibly end up dead and my children motherless. I am crying so hard it isn't even funny. I know I CAN do this, and will, I'm just worried about DT'S. Thank you to any of you who will answer me.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, I would do some research and if you feel in any way shape or form that your withdrawls are getting out of control...head to the ER!!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give any kind of medical advice here and detox is different for everyone.

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank a bottle of wine plus more ,or beer after that every night. was not a day drinker ..but hit it hard every evening. I had no problem with withdrawls.I suggest if u start feeling bad you head to the ER..They will treat you insurance or not.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know you can't give me medical advice. I'm asking for other people's alcohol usage and their withdraws cold turkey with no medication.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would do an internet search for free or low cost detox centers. Give them a call and see what they have to say. You are not the only person that has gone through this so I will bet there is some help out there

Although I detoxed on my own my story is a little differant so I do not think it applies to you
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank whiskey and diet coke daily, about 2 half-gallons (1.75liters ea) of whiskey each week. Drank every day like that for the past 8 years. Before that, I drank (daily but not as heavily) for 25 years or so. Also drank some beer too, but whiskey was my poison of preference.
I went to the doctor on Aug. 1, who chose to not give me any meds. Instead, he sent me to a counselor, who advised AA daily for 90 days. I'm now on 79 days sober. YEAH!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The point is, all our experiences are different.

Just because someone drank X amount each day and they had very little withdrawl issues, doesn't mean you would experience the same. It's not predictable.

Detoxing can be dangerous, so please be prepared to go to a hospital if you need to.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I find your doctor's reaction to be cold and heartless as well as uninformed. Can you go to another doctor? If you can't go inpatient, you can't go. She should be more supportive of your desire to quit and more helpful in my humble opinion...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I agree with the above but I do also see the doctor's point. The doc is stuck between a rock and a hard place and obviously knows that detox can be dangerous but it is typically a tough decision to give a substance abuser a script of an abusable medication and say "good luck to you."
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, she said that since she doesn't me, she can't risk giving me a prescription and drink on it. I fully understand her point on if she did give me one, and I drank on it, that it can cause death as well, and she said she'd be responsible for leaving my children motherless. She even tried to find a free or low cost inpatient center for me, as well as try to find an outpatient facility. There aren't any. I am watching my symptoms( the rapid heart beat is so annoying!) and husband and I will definately be watching for symptoms in the 48-72 hour range.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taramaree View Post
Update: So I went to the Dr, who absolutely refused any medication(librium, or other Benzo's).. She actually started crying and begging me to go to an inpatient facilty. That is not an option, as our healthy insurance is all jacked up. Can someone please tell me how much you were drinking and if you withdrew Cold Turkey with no medication. Like I said earlier, I have been drinking almost daily for 2 years, and about a pint of vodka a night mixed with Diet pop. I am so scared to get to the 24-72 timeframe and possibly end up dead and my children motherless. I am crying so hard it isn't even funny. I know I CAN do this, and will, I'm just worried about DT'S. Thank you to any of you who will answer me.
Your Dr was crying and you aren't going to take her advice ??!! How much is it worth to provide a mother for your children? Do you not think she knows what's best for you? We need more Drs like yours.

Have you gone to AA meetings in your area? Those folks will be able to help you.

I wish you and your family the best.

Bob R
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you have ever experienced discomfort between drinking episodes, even just hand trembling, I would not suggest you do this at home. My daughter, who is addicted to drugs and alcohol, tried to quit cold turkey and had a seizure in the backseat of our car. Very scary. She has been detoxed several times in the hospital (with no insurance at all). She was able to get short-term funding through her county.

As Anna said, everyone is different. What might cause withdrawal for one may not for another. But you can't know ahead of time. Even the same person can react differently with separate incidents.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand your point. She, as a Dr., is just doing her job. She started crying telling me about her alcoholic family, so I'm sure that influenced. If at any point in time I feel out of control, I will be going to er. I am trying to do the best I can.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I am not a doctor Tara and as such can't give any medical advice. However people do detox at home. It is not recommended by anyone really. Best advice I can give is get to the ER if you have too and prepare yourself for it. Stack up on some healthy food. Fruit juices, fruit, veg. You're body is going to be going through some major changes. Maybe get some multivitamin tabs and some iron.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

It seems you do have an ace in the hole with the ER...are you worried about what will happen if you play it? It is a scary thing, taking a lot of decisions out of your immediate control.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fernaceman, can you elaborate? I'm sorry but I didn't understand your post.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with Fernaceman. ER will take you in long enough to detox... Tell them you have the rapid heartbeat you mentionned. Add a bit of chest pain to it and they will take care of you.

I did this before and it worked. Problem is that the doctor offered me to detox for 5 days under his supervision. IDIOT of me, I did not accept the offer. I was not ready...
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am going to see how I feel in the morning. rapid heart rate is a mild symptom from what I'm reading. My pulse was only 6 over normal at the Dr this morning. When I have stopped drinking for 3 days before, the 2cd and third day was a breeze. I'm hoping for the same outcome this time. If not, and I get worse, I will be going to E.R.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Really not a medical advice since I'm no doctor but a thing that really helped me personnaly with the associated anxiety was Camomille... A lot of it