Notices

Dos ?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dos ?

That was my question on this forum a few days ago. I thought it meant date of stopping...date of sobriety. Nice.

October. 13. Some people don,t like that I'm taking a break rather than stopping completely. I go on 3 month breaks at least twice a year. I figure it's better than nothing.

I'm at day 5 now. I only find it hard nearing the 3 months (possibly because I told myself I would start then?). I have no withdrawals and am relieved and tranquil.

Once after a 2 month sobriety, I went out with friends to dance, and the next morning, I felt like i had a hangover. I was so used to waking up after a night out with a hangover that I created one until I remembered I had had absolutely nothing to drink Did something like this ever happen to you?

One post asked what was our line, our excuse, a common one was:
I'm fine now, I'm sure I can handle a few drinks.

I had that too but I have another one: I'm not as bad as them. The real alcoholics. Just because I don't have withdrawals, never drink more than 4 glasses on my own, I still used to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY. 4 glasses is too much. I still had black outs with friends, still have health issues, still have done stupid shameful things, fell on my head badly, etc....so it has affected my life just as bad.

Another line ? I'm alone, in my 40s, no kids, no partner...Who cares if I slowly drink myself to death, and if my drinking only harms myself?

I think it was artsoul who said, between a slow and drastic suicide, there must be other options. I guess that's why I'm here!

Anyways. Day 5 and going well. Maybe my break can last indefinitely or a whole year this time.

Thank you for reading.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

While I think that taking a break from drinking is better than drinking, I feel strongly that alcoholism is not about the alcohol. It's a coping method, it's self-medicating, it's opting out of dealing with life. Recovery is about changing ourselves from the inside out and learning to deal with the life as it comes. I'm not sure that a break now and then can ever give you that kind of recovery.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're quite right Anna. Nor making a contract one year to only drink 5 times - which I did - but they were so wicked I'm sure I did more harm than drinking daily.

You're right. I'm really getting there. I meditate daily, with body purity in mind. If my body is pure, my soul/mind is also pure...

Maybe I came too early on this forum, one thing is I'm here sober and happy and I think I can carry on...I'll get to my one month mark, I'll get to my 3 month December 12. hopefully, I will carry on.

The other day, I suggested to my family an evening with absolutely no alcohol. We are so all very imbibed, I doubt they will agree or even be able to. But as a family with a drinking problem, it would be a super experiment to try out. I hope we'll do it jsut so we can all see how toxic our relationship to alcohol is.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A reason not to drink for everyone is so they be happy. I dont think it is possible to be truly happy drinking alcoholically. We wouldn't be trying to numb ourselves.