Notices

Question for Young People/Moderators

Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question for Young People/Moderators

I don't know if this has been considered before, so I'm going to throw it out there.

There are a significant number of young people coming to this forum with concerns about substance abuse. While there are similarities with all addicts, there are also issues/circumstances/concerns that are unique to groups. Thus we have forums for substance abusers, women, men, etc.

I've noticed that there are a considerable number of younger people with concerns about addiction and I wonder if it would be beneficial to set up a forum for people, say, 30 or 25 years or younger. They are still in the early phases of addiction. They may be at higher risk of suicide or overdose. They also share common pressures of youth/young adulthood.

A Young Forum might give a place for people to connect with others sharing in experience with more similarities and points of view, with us older members popping in to lend the voices of experience.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I kinda agree with this. I'm 22 but I like the fact that I get to speak to a lot of old-timers in this forum. And I kinda hope that despite my age I can offer some advice and experience to people much older than me.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

we've had young people's threads before and unfortunately for whatever reason they always die out, so a forum is not an option right now.

If someone wants to start another one, and it has legs, then we'll see what happens

D
Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im 39....is that considered a old timer??? YIKES..now im a wino...and old.....waaahhhhhh!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee is absolutely right. A forum is not an option right now, but you are welcome to start a thread if you like.

I think though, it's best to be open to support and advice from everyone. You never know who will offer something that inspires you.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i agree that younger people may have different similaritie than us old farts,. but theres only one way us old farts got to be old farts: we found a way to stop using and didnt die. i have learned a lot from old farts that were young farts when they got clean. i have also learned a lot from young farts that got clean and are still young farts.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm 25, and though sometimes I do feel a bit young, I don't think that another forum would be necessary. I think that separating ourselves from the other ages would almost hinder our progress. I know I haven't been on here long, but I think it has helped me quite a great deal to be able to interact with others who are older and have had a much longer history with substance abuse and alcoholism. I think by almost "putting us" in another group would not allow us to be exposed to all the vast range of experiences that are out there.

Besides, I think us "youngins" end up finding each other in some way or another regardless.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We do have a Social Group for members under 30. Anyone thirty or under, is welcome to join.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/groups/
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was in end stage alcoholism by the time I was 22, which is when I went to AA and recovered. I learned I didn't have "young adult alcoholism", I had the real thing, and the experience that could help me was among the older members.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Actual age or mental age?
I'm in my 40s but am a child who is learning to grow up!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im 28.
Uhm.
An addict is an addict.
Learning from sobriety oldtimers is a must I think.
It sure helped me a lot.
And young kids can help old-timers remembering how their own addiction and life was earlier.
Keep things blended.