Notices

Saying goodbye to my best friend, Whiskey.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying goodbye to my best friend, Whiskey.

Hello everyone, I am 45 days sober today which is the longest I've ever made it and I feel pretty good. I found this site and read all kinds of blogs and I feel this place could be the extra motivation I need during those tough days and nights. I also find the little moving smiley face thingys kinda funny..

That being said I signed up today, maybe as a sort of celebration of my accomplishment. I wanted to talk about losing my friend. I've had this friend for quite a long time and it sure was (and still is) hard saying goodbye to the friend I loved most. I didn't need anybody else. I was perfectly content staying home and drinking. For a while I felt free from pain and anger, I felt happy and in control, I felt calm and comfort. It was just me and my friend and what a pair we'd make until the end of the night, when things changed. Something happened and all the good feelings would be lost and the morning after would draw a blank. I'd have to check my phone or replay events the night before to figure out what exactly my friend and I did. The guilt would come along with sadness but then my friend always managed to make me feel better, at least for a while. Well about 6 weeks ago things went a little too wrong during one of those nights and I decided that my friend needed to go for good.

Since then I've felt lonely without my friend although it is getting a bit better. I realize now that I could never have very good relationships with others because of the all consuming relationship I had with a bottle of booze. I remember being forced to make the choice "is it me or the bottle?" and choosing whiskey (my rationale being "you may be around for a while, but whiskey will always be"). But now I realize this is no way to live. I would never be able to become the person I always dreamed of becoming or doing the things I've only dreamed of doing. In getting sober and saying goodbye to my friend I feel happy about the future yet am scared at the same time. I do not think about sobriety forever because the idea is daunting and for me almost laughable however, I do take things one day at a time. I have a counselor but don't go to A.A. I've had urges and cravings in the past weeks but lately things have been good. I'm waiting for the big urge to meet my friend again, I just know it will be sometime soon. I hope I can fight it. I hope I will choose to run mile after mile until my head is cleared and my old pal isn't trying to hang out anymore. at least for that night. Well that's my story for the time being. Thanks for listening, good luck to all of you, stay strong.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome meg, got rid of my friend(red wine) almost 90 days ago... I don't miss it at all...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Meg,

You didn't mention anything about withdrawals, so I guess you're young enough not to get that. Lucky you. Keep running. That whiskey will slow you down for sure. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Turns out your friend was a lying back-stabber. No loss. Move forward, never back.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post! Glad to have you with us.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Greetings Meg, I was a whiskey person too, ten weeks ago today I had my last drink of wild turkey and also gave up the pot, you can do it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Meg!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 45 days! That is huge!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Meg, and congrats on 45 days!!

Guess booze is like that wild friend who always got you into trouble but you loved hanging out with. The wild friend was never the one who was with you for the duration, through good and bad. Sober is more like the quiet steady friend who always had your back.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Meg, glad to have you here. When your friend calls or knocks at the door, you don't need to have an argument. You can simply check the call display and choose not to answer, and if you open the door you can see who is there, smile, and shut that door again.

For me, it was a comfort to realize that I never had to have any dealings with that lying cheater that made a fool out of me, and I decided to never would. Done.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Meg

My addiction was like an abusive partner to me - it hurt me, belittled me, kept me down...but I was convinced I loved it, and it loved me...I just had to work out how to make it work...it must be my problem right?

I didn't think I had any other options.

but...thankfully...I found other options...and with that, a clearer head... and a clearer perspective on my relationship.

I never want a 'partner' like that again.

D
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Meg, and well done on 45 days x
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to see you Meg. After 14 months of distance, my old friend found me - I kicked him out again after 10 months. Day 4 sure is lonely. I see him in the store, he peeks in during commercials while watching sports, even puts up signs on the way to work to say "hi".

Congrats on 45 days, that is awesome.

This ones for you -------->

Toss
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I loved red wine, vodka, beer, the occasional tequila a lot (you get the picture) but I keep remembering the alternate life I might have led if I hadn't shut so many doors and squandered so much. Before I got in deep and went into anaphylactic shock during running caused by over exertion and dehydration ( guess who thought she could drink the night before running 14 miles!?), I fought so hard to keep alcohol in my life and live normally. Isn't nice to be able focus on the accomplishments of running your best?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Meg!

Glad you kicked that "friend" out! I remember being scared and a little lost at first, too, but over time I missed that friend less and less. I have lots of real friends now and the best part is I'm a friend to myself, too.

Congrats on your 45 days - keep going cuz it just gets better.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, I loved your post Meg! My friend was wine, we spent way too much time together some of which only the wine remembers.

Today is day five for me, and it is still hard, but I know myself and one glass will lead to problems for me.

I look forward to getting to day 45.

Congratulations!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for the kind words, encouragement, and welcome. It is all greatly appreciated. I'd like to think I'll keep on running but not from my problems anymore, rather just for my own satisfaction and gratification that I can overcome some tremendous hurdles in life.