Notices

Double tooth extraction... painkillers???

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zee

Double tooth extraction... painkillers???

I've just had the dreaded phone call from the hospital telling me a date for my "you are a wuss and you need to have a general anaesthetic to remove two teeth when brave people do it with a local" appointment. Its on 27th October

My question is... the hospital are going to give me painkillers... what are the ones I should avoid... given my addictive nature. Bit worried I'm going to get hooked on something that will be bad
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Zee-
that sounds painful. Ouch!
I don't know much about painkillers, other than once, a few years back, I had to take vicodin for a neck injury. Tried managing with just advil and steroids, but couldn't. At first it was fine, but that stuff snuck up on me and I have to admit, I started to like them and could see how easy they are for people to become addicted to them. Fortunately I had a doctor that I told I was in recovery, and I didn't stay on them long enough to make a mess of things.
Will the painkillers just be in the hospital or will you walk out with a script? If a script, be very careful with that stuff. Maybe others can offer suggestions.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I would start with two paracetamol and two ibuprofen - one reduces the pain chemical production and the other reduces your pain response to it. If that doesn't cut it, take it up a notch and add a couple of grains of codeine, we call them tylenol 2 or tylenol 3 on this side of the pond. Beyond that, if all goes well it will stop hurting in a day or two.

I got myself a plant water sprayer bottle that I could adjust to a jet that I used to make sure that no food got stuck in the holes until they closed over.

I had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time with a general anaesthetic, it wasn't as painful as I feared. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Zee

Thanks for the replies
I will add that I have liver disease of a vaugue nature (ie. no-one has given me a definate diagnosis) could be fibrosis, could be cirrhosis, could be alcoholic hepatitis, could be fatty liver... blah blah. I guess a tylenol type medication is out of the question. I suppose I'll have to take my usual tesco's pain killer which I usually have and be a brave soldier!! I've been putting this off for ages... I'm absolutely ****ing myself
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry, Zee, it's really not that bad. I'm terrified of going to the dentist so I totally understand your fear. I've had wisdom teeth removed and it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. You'll be OK with your Tesco pain killer
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The big thing is to let you doctors know that you have a problem, take prescription as directed, get on non abusable drugs as soon as is possible.

I have my wife dispense any drug that could be abused because I know me
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had wisdom teeth taken out under general anaesthetic before Zee and the hospital gave me Solpadol which is codeine I think. It made me really stoned but I only took it twice because I really wasn't in any pain and I have always been really wary of taking drugs because of my alcohol issues. I certainly wasn't in enough pain to justify taking such a strong painkiller. If you do need them though just make sure you have a strict limit on how long you use them for. I'm sure the hospital will be able to advise you appropriately. Good luck x
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Zee - what is in your Tesco pain killer? Are you sure it's not paracetamol.

My tip is don't smoke, not sure if you do, as it can interfere with healing and if you get dry socket, then that is agony.

Also try a tiny bit of clove oil, you can get it from chemists. Dab it on a cotton bud and gently press it on the surrounding gum.
It stinks but it's great for tooth ache pain.
I had my teeth packed with dressings soaked in it after my operation. But at the time I was a smoker and thats why.

Codeine can give you a high, so it might be worth telling them about that.
I would also tell them about your liver so they can decide about paracetamol for you.
You will be fine I know it!
And no more pain from teeth that need pulling out!

Don't forget to put them under your pillow for the tooth fairy.....xx
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was drinking when I had that done btw... I wasn't allowed to drink or smoke for 24 hours!! God that seemed like such a long time then!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Since we can't give medical advice ... my advice, from experience, is to be completely open and honest with your doctors. If you aren't, it's not going to work.

In my opinion and experience, it is possible to use prescription pain relievers in a safe way although everyone is different. I can't tell you which drug is best. I believe everything has the potential to be abused.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's probably a really good idea to talk to your doctor/dentist about your addiction and liver problems and see what he recommends for you. I wish you well with the teeth extraction.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Zee

It's ok... they know everything about my history I have had my clotting done twice and I even sneaked in another liver function test 3 weeks after my previous one! It's funny, when I was in hospital with my LIVER DAMAGE.. THEY GAVE ME PARACETAMOL... DUR!!!! Since I have done hours of research on the liver I know that they shouldn't have... (lawsuit? ker-ching!) I don't need or want medical advice, I just wanted to know what painkillers were addictive. Thanks folks I'll let you know what the tooth fairy leaves me.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, sorry, I left that part out. Talk with your Dr., they tend to be good at this stuff. Much better than some random selection of internet people.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found over the counter ibuprofen was good enough for me Zee.

I wouldn't mess with topical things like clove oil myself - you do not want to be poking around there and get an infection

D
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is just one of those things. If you've had a problem with painkillers in the past you should talk with you doctor. Otherwise, meds should be taken as prescribed. Hope this goes well for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah...I had a root canal done- but prior to it was given Vicodin prescription. I used it up and then asked for more- thankfully the doctor told me otc should be sufficient at that point....gah I had no self control.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i cant give you advise on what to take as im not a doctor. what i will say that when i have to take pain meds i let people around me know what is goin on and ask them to keep an eye on me.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Zee

Update:- Well, I had my operation yesterday, 2 teeth out with general anaesthetic (my 1st one, scary) They gave me 2 x co-codamol about an hour after I woke up, If I wasn't spaced out before... well, I was then!!! I felt horrible, how can people get addicted to them (I'm a complete hypocrite I know... alot of people hate alcohol, but hey, different strokes and all that!) Well, today, I have a box on Co-codamol 500mg sitting in my medicine cabinet and that's where its gonna stay! I have had 1 of my usual tesco's pain releiver (paracetamol/asprin/caffine) that has done the trick... I usually have 2 for a headache. I think that having these 2 teeth abcessed for so long has increased my pain threshold in the mouth. Luckily the gaps don't show when I smile so double lucky! Phew, another thing not to worry about... back to my normal run-of-the-mill anxiety attacks... good times!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Zee, glad it's good news.