Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

5 months sober, Anyone get balancing sensation issues, tired, day dream like state.

Notices

5 months sober, Anyone get balancing sensation issues, tired, day dream like state.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm sober for about 5 months now. But I get this weird balancing issues, I can explain it, not quite dizzy and it’s not intense, but the sensation that I’m little off balance. I was driving and I felt like I was leaning to the right, which triggered a bit of anxiety. I remember this happening when I was a heavy drinker.

My background:
Before becoming sober I would drink heavily for weeks on end, a 12 pack of beer per night or a bottle of wine and a six pack. I was doing this for a solid year or more. I might have stopped for a few days but I’d be right back at it.

-Frequent drinking about 4 years+, No every night but when I did drink, I drank a lot.

-Heavy drinking every night just over a year 1 year.

I stopped drinking because I was sick and tired of being like this. I go the point where I didn’t look in the mirror and hated seeing myself.
The night before I quit I had a lot of anxiety and the only thing that got rid of it was drinking; it calmed me down so I could sleep (my sleep was crappy).
The first week was pretty ******. After the second week it led up quit a bit. Then at the 1 month mark, I felt anxious, I was pist off, short tempered. But I knew it was PAWS. I can remember that is when I had those balance issue sensation while driving and unsettled feeling.

After, things seem to have subsided and my mood was improving and just generally more positive and relaxed. But then around the 3 month mark, I started getting anxiety, I couldn’t figure out if it was PAWS since I was don g so well. After a few weeks it subsided. Things went back to being ok.

This last week, around 5 moth mark I’m more “jumpy”, I get startled real easy which causes some anxiety, feel tired, my head feels like when your highly concentrating and focus for a prolonged period of time, feels like it “shrinking/dizzy” (for a lack of a better term). It’s almost like a day dream state, hard to be present.

Is this related to PAWS? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Lat
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you drinking a ton of coffee? Smoking?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I stop drinking my balance is off. I feel like I'm going to fall down or at least stagger and/or pass out--which is not usually what I experience at my level of drinking--but it goes away after a day or two. Odd that it's happening to you so long after stopping.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too have feelings of losing balance sometimes but they're linked to sinus issues. Maybe speak to your Dr - it could be totally unrelated to alcohol or sobriety.

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your 5 months.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Latzo

After 5 months I think I'd be seeing a Dr - there could be many many reasons, and all beyond any of us here to definitively diagnose

D
Old 10-15-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was sort of off kilter for a year. At six months my legs were still a little wobbly, but I had the double blessing of being a booze hound and a benzo snarf. The benzo withdrawals were protracted, lasted about a year, and concrete under my feet felt like walking on sponge.

My balance is still a tad off whack two years sober -- sort of like vague vertigo on heights or stairs, that type of thing.

Really think you should go to a doctor you trust, tell about your new found sobriety and the balance issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welome to SR latzo.

Congratulations on 5months.

I think you need to visit the Dr,your problems may not have anything to do with the Alcohol.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks it been a tough journey but the best decision I have ever made. I just take one day at a time, don't get me wrong there are times I really feel like a drink, that craving, but like I've read on this forum "two steps forward and one step back," but it does get easier.

@ MemphisBlues

I experience the same thing "vertigo on heights or stair." even escalators. Its a weird feeling. I do drink coffee on a daily basis, I will try to eliminate that to see if it helps.

I have read that anxiety might cause this. I do have a history of GAD, but used alcohol to mask it for years.

BTW,
Ive been reading this forum when I was an alcoholic for a year, but I never signed up, I was just lurking in the background; I just read other people stories, not wanting to participate, and I'm sure there are many like me out there. But I totally related to most of what was on here. It got inspired reading other peoples success stories and their experiences so it helped me a great deal.

Thanks for all the replies and help.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi latzo. Have you been taking a daily dose of vitamin B? This seems to be a fairly common problem for people after they get sober, but it would be worthwhile to visit a doctor for some vitamin B tests. Some of your symptoms suggest that your vitamin B levels could be low, and this can cause serious long-term problems if left untreated. At the very least, seeing a doctor will put your mind at ease. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by latzo View Post
Hi I'm sober for about 5 months now. But I get this weird balancing issues, I can explain it, not quite dizzy and it’s not intense, but the sensation that I’m little off balance. I was driving and I felt like I was leaning to the right, which triggered a bit of anxiety. I remember this happening when I was a heavy drinker.

My background:
Before becoming sober I would drink heavily for weeks on end, a 12 pack of beer per night or a bottle of wine and a six pack. I was doing this for a solid year or more. I might have stopped for a few days but I’d be right back at it.

-Frequent drinking about 4 years+, No every night but when I did drink, I drank a lot.

-Heavy drinking every night just over a year 1 year.

I stopped drinking because I was sick and tired of being like this. I go the point where I didn’t look in the mirror and hated seeing myself.
The night before I quit I had a lot of anxiety and the only thing that got rid of it was drinking; it calmed me down so I could sleep (my sleep was crappy).
The first week was pretty ******. After the second week it led up quit a bit. Then at the 1 month mark, I felt anxious, I was pist off, short tempered. But I knew it was PAWS. I can remember that is when I had those balance issue sensation while driving and unsettled feeling.

After, things seem to have subsided and my mood was improving and just generally more positive and relaxed. But then around the 3 month mark, I started getting anxiety, I couldn’t figure out if it was PAWS since I was don g so well. After a few weeks it subsided. Things went back to being ok.

This last week, around 5 moth mark I’m more “jumpy”, I get startled real easy which causes some anxiety, feel tired, my head feels like when your highly concentrating and focus for a prolonged period of time, feels like it “shrinking/dizzy” (for a lack of a better term). It’s almost like a day dream state, hard to be present.

Is this related to PAWS? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Lat
Latzo,

Congrats on your sobriety.. I saw your post about being dizzy and having balance issues at month 5. Im somewhat on the same boat as you at month 6. Just wanted to know how your feeling now? Has the balance issue been lessened..

Hope your doing great.
Thanks in advance\
Vinny
Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Looks like the last time Latzo logged in was in June of 2014, Vinny.

I had many spatial difficulties in early sobriety, some were actual balance problems maybe - but I think most of them were brain function problems sort of like hallucinations, hypersensitivity or being hyper-alert, easily startled, or peripheral vision issues that caused me to feel off-balance. I don't remember how long they lasted. Some people report blood sugar or blood pressure problems post sobriety both of which could cause physical disorientation or dizziness.

It took me nine months to a year of total continuous sobriety to feel normal again. I guess you could ask a doctor, if it's concerning you.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
VinBx

Bimi,

Thank you for the responsre. I didnt notice that he wasn't on since 14. Duh. Lol

Hope your doing great.