Notices

Why can't I just have 1!!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lab

Why can't I just have 1!!

I'm a newly single mom of 5 kids. My husband left because he was cheating on me. I find myself depressed even more than before. I don't drink everyday, he get the kids 2xs a week. So, when I don't have my kids...I drink. I tell myself, "only 1 glass of wine" but before I know it I've polished off 2 bottles. I know this is binge drinking. But I'm not satisfied have 1 glass. Anyone else feel like this? How did you deal with the excessive drinking? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lab View Post
How did you deal with the excessive drinking? Thanks for any help!
I couldn't deal with it, so I quit. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lab

Wish I felt strong enough to not drink.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have been through so much, don't blame yourself, you will get stronger & here getting support is a great start. Hang in there.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lab

Thanks....I hope I get stronger. Can't keep living this way.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank to self medicate and numb my feelings as well...but it ends up hurting more than helping. Hang in there!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I tried to moderate my drinking. I tried to keep it to "just a couple beers". No ideas I came up with helped me at all. My drinking got worse and worse and worse till it was far worse than I ever thought possible. I had to give up any thoughts of drinking "just 1". I joined a program of recovery and have been sober ever since.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lab

I'm thinking I may need help. My family is concerned about me. Plus the choices of people I've been hanging are not good. I believe I was slipped something in my drink this past Friday. Don't remember anything. Burned my hand in a Bon fire and fell off my deck. I could have gotten very badly injured! I'm so mad at myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

My wife and I were in a similar situation. We shared 3 kids after we seperated and I moved in with someone else. I came to realize later that we were both alcoholics although she was more active than me at the time of our seperation. Things changed, not long after I moved out, and I became much more active.

The state ended up taking our kids for over a year and they lived with their aunt and uncle nearby for that period.

She passed away about 2 years ago, mostly from our other addiction, cigarettes. She was 51. I had moved back to our house about a year before that and she went to rehab for a few months. Now it's me and the kids and I don't want to drink. I'm here and went to my first AA meeting in 3 years tonight. That's how I'm dealing with my excessive drinking. Not drinking and helping others help me. I KNOW I can't have even 1 drink. It will kill me, more sooner than later in my case.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lab

dSober~ thank you for sharing that with me. I realize even thought don't drink everyday, I still have a problem. The amount I can drink is crazy. Last thing I want is my children to be taken away.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lab

I found drinking was the worst thing I could have done for my depression. It turned a fairly small problem into a huge great one lasting decades.

By turning to booze so often, I eventually lost the ability to have 'just one' - seems like you might be the same?

There's better, healthier ways to deal with stress, loss, and depression.
There is a better life - there's hundreds of us here to prove it

I'm really glad you've joined us

D
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great question. Why can't we just have one?

Personally, I never saw much point in just having one, because I drank to get drunk, and one drink didn't do it for me.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lab, there's a saying in the AA Big Book: "If you think you might be an alcoholic, you probably are."
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lab

Thank you all for responding. I know I have a drinking problem....it's only when I don't have my kids. I feel like I'm free to do whatever I want and not think about the negative outcome. As for the depression...I know it doesn't help cuz for the next few days after drinking I'm in a pissed off mood and want to cry. Guess I thought drinking twice wasn't bad....boy was I wrong.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lab, I've drank up to 1/2 gal. 80 proof. per day, for days/weeks on end. Guess what happens when you stop. Hint: I've made several unplanned visits to the hospital via ambulance. I usually "came to" in the amulance saying I'm ok, take me home. Nobody was interested in anything I had to say, duh.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is hard when I decided to just have one I bought a wine glass that could hold a bottle then I thought well one more won't hurt. Just can't do it. Remember when one of my step kids said he wished his mom never married an alcoholic that was a heart breaker
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You've just completed AA Step 1 Lab: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--- that our lives had become unmanagable"

- Quoted directly from the Big Book, it's on my lap right now.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lab

That's what I want to avoid....it getting to the point where I need medical attention. And my stupid falling off decks and getting burned isn't helping. Plus the drinking has gotten me started sleeping around. I am so disgusted in myself over all of this. This drunk person is not who I am. Im so ashamed.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There was a time when I thought I was hiding my addiction from my children. Boy was I wrong.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lab

It took me awhile to admit it, it's stopping is the problem. I don't want my kids disappointed in me. It sucks when they come back home and I'm hungover laying on the couch for hours.