Notices

Went out last night

Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went out last night

However its not like the title states. I went out last night to watch the UFC fights with my cousin, not a big drinker, and an old drinking buddy of mine. My cousin asked me if it would bother me if they drank, and I said no, that if it was going to bother me to be around drinking or alcohol I might as well just start drinking again. Im not going to let my past and alcohol dictate me enjoying myself.

Quite a lot of my older drinking friends showed up, and they all proceeded to get really drunk. Wanting to watch the show at the bar, but I sat at the table and drank my diet coke by myself. Towards the end of the night a couple of my friends started arguing with each other, acting completely ignorant in public. Over what I gathered from a sober stand-point to be utter nonsense.

I know this is selfish of me, but it made me really happy to see them acting the way they said bothered them about me, and me someone who would have been right in the middle of that arguement for entertainments sake had I been drinking, just spectating the whole thing. I just laughed at how stupid they were acting and told them If you do the booze you lose boys. Proud of myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. You got a reminder as to why you quit drinking. Very good work my friend!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! Yeah, I believe its safe to assume I acted that very same way in public. Acting in ways I thought were cool, funny, and witty. Now I see are only entertaining to people who are drinking, and make sober people around you think your an idiot.

However, I didn't act like a moron, was very nice... and got another dose of reality to put in my sober arsenal. Oh yeah, and I can remember what went on during the UFC PPV!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome you went out and still had a good time! Nice to have a reminder of what you would have been like and to feel good about the changes you are making in your life!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go its quite differant to see a bar seen sober you should be very proud of yourself I sure am proud of you and be sure the SR familys is to
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Blondie and Ford! Those reminders were definetely there for me, If your strong enough in your resolve to be able to go out to places like that and stay sober its sure to hit you hard the reasons why you need to stay away from that poison.

Yeah, for sure Ford, seeing all that sober was really interesting. Annoying a little but none the less a great learning experience for me. While I was doing inpatient rehab one of the counselors brought in a VHS, yeah old, of a man I believe name Delbert Boone. He hit on some great points about us addicts thinking we are invisible, but everyone else can see how ridiculous we are. The experience brought those words to life for me.

A few of the people who went out or showed up need to quit, but its not for me to pressure anyone into that. Just offer help if asked. One of my friends (this words meaning has changed drastically for me during sobriety) was involved a bit in trying to recover, but from what I seen gave up I suppose. I could just see in him what people must have been seeing when they looked at me. A sort of hopelessness, lost, mixed in with displaced anger. Sad, really sad what alcohol takes and promises us.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's crazy how the way I percieve all sorts of things has changed since I quit drinking.
Bar scenes, music, literally everything. I'm filled with pride when I see drunk people and I'm FINALLY the sober one... it's nice.

Congrats on being sober.

It's true, I recently saw someone who was just as bad as I was, aand them seeing me sober, I could see that hurt them. Sigh.

"sad what alcohol takes and promises us"
couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, he barely even talked to me. I really don't want anyone to be hurt by seeing my sobriety. Rather use it as inspiration, one of my sober friends joked and said "if that crazy drunk Dustin (me) can do it, everyone can definitely do it. That pride does feel good doesn't it. Like yeahhhh, you all looked at me real bad when I was so low... It doesn't feel good when others do that to you does it. Not that I would ever do that to anyone struggling. My "friends" are not the greatest people to be around, I would've declined the invite had I known who all was showing up.

Someone told me the only thing you have to change is everything, literally everything is changing for me too. Some of it really without any effort on my part. Im turning into a brand new person and its very exciting.