Notices

Stopping drinking versus living sober

Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking versus living sober

Hey SR family, how is ya, lol?

I really have missed this place, for this group has always been there during my deepest frustrating moments of trying my best to get a grip on life. Today I enjoy the blessings that many here helped bestow upon me, the blessings of each day being a true gift, and the simple, boring details of day-to day living becoming absolutely fascinating to live through. It's great to be invited to share time with people today, to just be wanted for being me, not some clown in a bottle. SR has been a major part of my discovery process and for the many blessings I've received I am truly grateful.

One of the biggest struggles I had to contend with was trying to determine if I just wanted to stop drinking or did I want to learn how to live sober. I stopped drinking a thousand or more times, but I didn't realize I didn't know how to live sober. So when things got a little tough, I just picked up the bottle again and escaped life until the next time reality reared it's ugly head.

The real difference came for me when I was granted the gift of insight into how pleasant life could be without booze screwing up the works. It may sound corny, but the sunrise seems so much brighter and promising when I'm not hungover or laying in bed all day feeling like total garbage. I don't feel like a loser anymore, which is a direct result of striving to learn how to live among the human race and let myself be human, not some preconceived notion of who I wanted to pretend to be.

To those on shaky ground, I am among those today that I envied just a few short months ago and I know that if I can find a new path to a life full of rewards and enjoyment, then you too can find the path that leads you ultimately to yourself, for therein lies the real, incredible you.

Thank you SR for all your help and for being here through the hard times. I'm glad to say today is much better because you are here.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i know what you mean, with the sunset thing. I've been taking pictures crazy cloud formations at sunset recently lol.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Good to hear from you again, firestorm. It has been a while, but I have thought of you from time to time. Glad to know you are doing well. Don't be such a stranger.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very well said! I needed that
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Firestorm, for this wonderful post.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

This is just what I needed.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi suki and new friends,

suki, one of the things that is fantastic today is to really miss people, like I have missed SR and my friends like yourself. Thanks for the welcome back.

Another nice thing about recovery is that no one has stolen my wallet lately, (they never did, I just blew all the money at the bar, lol).

If I wanted to express all the many ways that recovery has opened up my life, I would have to write a series of books, with new editions each year.

One thing I know for sure, recovery is not easy, but the rewards sure are nice, even wonderful at times, and when I look in the mirror, there's a totally different guy looking back at me, lol. It's great to laugh at myself and know that the laughter is all in fun, not the false laughter of the desperate person I was trying to hide.

Don't get me started, I always was one to speak my mind, lol.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear you;re doing well D - and good to see ya

D
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Nice post Firestorm!! I find I appreciate a lot of corny things sober lol

There is a difference between stopping drinking and living sober. This is the first time I'm making a real effort to create a sober life.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

great post, firestorm. being sober is so much more about putting down the bottle. it's about living the sober life and learning to love life in sobriety. i honestly know that i don't need to turn to the bottle now in times of distress. it's okay to feel sadness and pain. emotions of all kinds are so much more touching without alcohol. everything in life has this beautiful kind of sweetness to it now that it had been missing when i was drinking. everything has a depth that i had been missing before. after living the sad, dead lives of active alcoholics and addicts, i think we are especially aware of the magic in things like sunsets and clouds and even mundane things that other people may not notice because we're aware of what a gift this sober life is. we've learned not to take this life around us for granted.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

We missed you too! It was great to read all the insights you've had since being sober - so happy for you!