Notices

Feeling temptation

Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling temptation

I have 3 weeks today, but I can't stop thinking about wanting a few beers. Not to mention I have a business trip next week.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Mescal, something special about today?
Or is it the looming business trip that's making you think you might as well get started?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are dong well. The cravings pass....sit on your hands if you have to. We are here for you.

3 weeks? Congrats!!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One of the things that I noticed with myself was that when things like that were looming (work trip) I would start giving myself reasons to drink... start dwelling on stuff that was annoying me, all the negative stuff. Can you do some positive things for your sobriety before then.. or make a plan for how you can avoid drinking situations while you're away? Glad you posted about it x
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mescal - I know EXACTLY how you feel. Take a peek at my posts beginning last Saturday. I was petrified of my business trip, didn't know if I could do it totally sober, but I did. With some help from my SR support network and a TON of willpower.

It was not easy and once it was over and I found myself sober and in a cab on the way home from the airport I was so proud I wanted to cry. I just kept telling myself each day that I could do it, granted I spent a lot of time staring at the TV and sequestered in my room (which had a loaded minibar!) but I just kept moving and reminding myself that I never want to feel that way again. EVER. And if it meant forcing myself to stare down the Beast in his favorite habitat well, I was gonna do it. And I did. You can too.

Almost all components of a business trip are massive triggers for me but I faced them and managed to enjoy the beautiful location and my meetings in spite of myself. I love what I do and I loved it even more this time ... it really WAS better sober. I never would have believed that but I experienced it myself and it turned out to be true.

Try it this one time sober. If you have to lock yourself in the room for hours then do it. If you have to ask for the minibar to be emptied do that too. If you have to schedule a super early morning flight so the bars in the airport aren't open when you get there then so be it.

I wish you strength in facing this challenge and remember, you are not alone! We are here to cheer you on!!!

Last edited by IWillWin; 10-13-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone
Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Hey Mescal, I suggest keeping busy. Poking around here is how I'm doint that right now on day 27. If you're expect to be taken out to dinner during your business trip, obvoiusly don' order a drink and in the unlikely event anyone inquires, just say: "I don't drink". That'll be the end of it.

Your handle's kinda interesting given the context: here. Just having fun or trying to tell us someting?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel your pain... My Firm is hosting a big conference next week... Mucho socializing goes on/is expected at night. I've always been the "go to" guy in the past if someone needed someone to drink with... It's gonna be a challenge for sure...
Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

whats your support network like, mescal?

D
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm here for those of you facing the challenges of business travel. I'm by no means an expert but fresh off my own crusade I might be able to lend some helpful thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you like it can be done, just takes patience, determination and a solid plan for a sober trip. Oh, and not drinking of course!

Re: business social functions, it is pretty much my job to wine and dine people. This last trip, when my clients ordered alcohol I did not. I was surprised that no one even blinked an eye. I suppose the only person at the table even remotely interested in my alcohol consumption was me. Funny, when I was drinking I was certain the world revolved around me! I'm glad that it actually does not
Old 10-13-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

LOL IWillWin. Yeah, I was in the same position for about a year some time back. I was all over the country doing tech. support for sales teams and they were party animals when they took prospects out. It didn't know I was an alcoholic back then so I didn't abstain but I doubt anyone would have cared if I did. People who don't drink, are not the least bit uncommon and therfore nobody notices. Tougher for young drinkers hangin' with their peers but most of us are past that.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi dSober! Yeah, while I was out West last week I put on my big girl pants a few afternoons and braved the oceanfront bars/restaurants alone during a few hours of downtime. So there I was..."table for one, please with a view"...and at a famous bar that is equally as famous for its food. The operative word here is "bar" and I was certain that I would be the ONLY one in the entire place lunching without a cocktail. Well, with my sober eyes I was very aware of my surroundings and low and behold - the place was full and I only saw one couple drinking alcohol (at least that I could notice). One! I was totally shocked. Everyone else seemed to have soft drinks or water. So strange how our perception is skewed while drinking - I would have, in the past, been happily guzzling drink after drink at 2pm and absolutely certain that everyone else was too. Wow, what a wake up call that experience was. The drinkers were in the minority!!! At a beach bar in a beach town!!!

It is still odd to me that I'm the only one who gives a **** about my drinking. The waitress was just as nice when I ordered a club soda as she would have been if it was a vodka rocks. I was fairly confident on my way there that everyone would be looking at me like I was wearing the Scarlet Letter. Much to my ego's chagrin, no one cared! LOL!

Anyway, it was interesting and a big test of my sobriety. But I did it and I actually remember the whole trip. Amazing gift this whole sober thing is turning out to be
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMyGirls View Post
I feel your pain... My Firm is hosting a big conference next week... Mucho socializing goes on/is expected at night. I've always been the "go to" guy in the past if someone needed someone to drink with... It's gonna be a challenge for sure...
Good luck, I know I have a few functions coming up and as well. I am just going to remember that I am doing this for me as we'll as my three kids.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, every event for me seems to have alcohol around, Its a real challenge to stay strong!! Good luck and don't give in to the urges and I will do the same!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a desire to drink last night. But here's what I ended up doing. I took out a sheet of paper and wrote down a few lists. First was why I want to drink. The second was why I didn't want to drink (or at least why I shouldn't). The final list was what I was like before I quit drinking again this last time. When I finished writing down everything, I realized that the last two lists were bigger than the first. AND the things I listed in the first list were all quite silly and ridiculous. Things like ... "Don't have to ever tell my family I'm a drunk" or "Feel like I can watch that one TV show again where people use all the time". But when I looked at the last list, I realized that it was serious stuff that is scary and that's exactly where I will be again quickly if I pick up that drink again. I won the battle for one more day and did not drink last night. Tonight the desire is not as strong as last night.

Just a suggestion that worked for me. Good luck!