Notices

7 days down. I am on #8 and this is how I feel...

Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days down. I am on #8 and this is how I feel...

As I learn more about alcoholism I become more comfortable with my illness.
I have learned a lot from listening to Joe and Charley's Big Book Study. If you are not familiar with it check out this link for one of the many places you can get it. Also it is available as an App- search AA and look for Joe and Charley.
Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net
Anyway... back on track. In the past I would give in to my cravings and believe the lies my mind would come up with "you are not alcoholic, and even if you are you can just be careful about when and where you drink" etc. it was especially hard when all my friends were enjoying a social gathering as the drank what I was craving... Beer.. And lots of it.
My opinion is starting to change. I feel like one of the wise few of the group of people at these events. Some are alcoholics and don't know it yet, some are in denial, and others are normal drinkers and they do not enjoy drinking the same way we alcoholics do anyway. It works for me. I feel confident in myself and have a good time with a big smile on my face. Something I struggled with before (trying to stay sober at a drinking event)
This weekend is my 15 year reunion so I hope I can keep that mentality.
I am NOT in any way implying that people who drink are stupid or sinners or anything like that. My wife is a "normal drinker" and so are several other family members and friends. But I think his is a way for some of us alcoholics to, not only be present at, but actually enjoy events that offers alcohol.
I am a people person and I get along with everyone. That may be why I felt out of place whenever I was not drinking at some of these events in the past. I didn't have that buzz, or liquid courage or whatever. So lets think about it logically .... We alcoholics that choose to abstain from alcohol should hold our head high. We know what we need to do and we do it.. In spite of the fact that it is very hard, we are humble enough to admit defeat and turn our life over to a higher power and we no longer allow our life to be out of control and in manageable. I am proud to be one if you and if you honk that sounds crazy then listen to this next little bit of logic. Not one person in this world is born without some sort of "defect" or complication. Some are blind, deaf, slow mentally, handicap, diabetic,etc, etc. in other words we all have something to overcome. Some things you can't overcome... You just learn to live with it. We alcoholics and/ or drug addicts do NOT have to live without something essential to life. We can all admit that alcohol and drugs put everyone (even a normal drinker) at a disadvantage. It slows you down. Take Los a lot of your drive away, etc. so what we need to live without is not a very big deal at the very least. In fact.... I choose to feel like it is an advantage. On top of all that... We have something to offer people. Our testimony and understanding of the need and importance of encouragement can help make us compassionate people.
So yes I am proud that my defect is alcoholism because it makes me who I am and I am happy with that...... So should we all. God bless everyone of you-
Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post dog, thanks. Sounds like you are working really hard and I am proud of you. Congrats on over a week!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love this post, Lyingdog. Thanks so much!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lyingdog,

That is a fantastic post, for someone on just day 8, man have you got it together.

It is right that we should all hold our heads up high, be proud that we have the strength to realize we have a problem and ask for the help we need to get beyond it.

God bless you too, keep the faith and stay strong.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Ditto Lyingdog: thanks; I needed that. Thanks for the honesty in your handle (alcohol makes liars out of all of us) and thanks for the Silkworth link. I just added it to my recovery folder along with this site and Alcoholics Anonymous :.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Oh yeah... just saved your post in MyDocuments/Recovery too. Should make a good pick-me-up at those down moments.