Notices

I'm Not Going To Fall Into The Same Trap

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Not Going To Fall Into The Same Trap

I thought this morning had started well, good walk, 7.5 miles, nice bath to recover and a bit of work to do.

But then it all changes, we have no food, no coffee, no money, I have a £1 in the bank and the Council Tax people are threatening us with Court action, to top it off I found 3 gray hairs this morning!

The difference between now and this point last year, I now know NONE OF THIS CAN ACTUALLY HURT ME! Yes, I am owed money, I should get it soon, but for now I can not influence the situation at this moment, I can't rob a bank, so I am not going to let it break me down.

I would have been looking to reach for that drink before, or watching the clock tick down to 6pm (it's on 11am here) so I could justify drinking, but now I refuse, I WILL RISE ABOVE IT ALL.

So I'm calming myself down with a few songs of inspiration as I start my work,:

Rise Above - Fireflight

So even after 28 weeks, we still struggle, we are not perfect, we are human, but I urge everyone to RISE ABOVE IT!

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's the powerlessness of the situation. As long as you remember you can't do anything about it everything will be ok. It's still a very tough situation to be in but it will get better. It certainly isn't going to change if you drink about it. The likelihood is that it will just get worse.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Certainly not going to drink, I'm not going back there, life is generally so much better, when I think of the money I'm saving from not drinking, on average £100 per week, when some weeks I wasn't even earning that. The Government removing our tax credits has blown a massive hole in our finances, but it will sort itself out.

In the mean time I will Rise Above It, yes I'm struggling, but I also now have clarity, that I am not going back, I am not letting it beat me, this is a test, but I will not fail and I urge everyone going through similar to Rise Above It.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Wayne,
glad to hear you're rising above it.

You may know the CAB (citizens advice bureau) can help with debt councelling, advice with tax credits and benifits, thought i'd better mention it as i found sucessful money management very useful to my recovery .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks,

We have worked with the CAB, they reorganized all our debts to small repayments, with which we were comfortable, but my partner lost her part job in August and they cut our tax credits, so for the time being we have a bit of a hole, but it will sort itself out, I see it a test, a test I will not fail this time.

Thanks again,

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Thanks for the pep talk Wayne. I needed that. First thing I saw with I signed in this morning.

I'm in a similar situation. No grey hairs, but not a whole lot of brown hair left :-)

Our situations are more similar in that I let alcohol take all my money away. Not so much on the spending side but very much on the earnings side. But I know I must put keep putting one foot before the other and persevere.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The great thing about this site is that you really do find that you are not the only one who is in your situation, there are many like you from all over the world who are suffering similar problems.

We all dealt with quitting differently, for me I turned to God and if I can't influence a situation like this I pray and trust he will provide when the time is right, in the mean time I have a life to live and things to do, people who need me to be strong, so I carry on.

I posted this to encourage others to rise above their problems as well, it wasn't really a cry for help, but just let others know sometimes we all struggle, but we have to stay strong and rise above it.

Thanks for all you responses, they do help more than you know, now I am on here I feel even less alone.

It's funny, most of those who I have got know at church who have helped me so much, have never been in my situation, but they help me, they encourage me, they stay in contact with me during the week and I can contact them when I am struggling. But, on here we are all in the same boat, just trying to get clean, get healthy, to sort it all out, so it's great to post and get such encouraging responses.

Thank you all once again.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! I am struggling this morning laying here with all my awful thoughts! Stay strong!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will do, thanks Lola.

I will send you a song later, I will try to post one everyday if I can.

Go for a walk, with your ipod or whatever on, it works for me.

Thanks again

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im still in bed, exhaustion is part of withdrawl for me...going to try and sleep for a bit longer...hopefully!