Notices

Don't miss hangovers

Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't miss hangovers

And this thought helps me get thru my cravings. If I want to drink I think about how god awful the next day will be. Waking up foggy, with that awful taste in my mouth, driving to work with a bac probably just below the legal limit, chasing the drink right after work....I stay sober one day at at time but it helps me to think about the consequences. Something I never did while drinking. Or at least not something I cared about enough to deter me. It's 7:30 am here and I have already been to the store and cleaned up a bit. Feels great to participate in life again. Have a great sober day all!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing well. That's what I was told in the beginning - think through the drink. Cause thinking just about that first sip sounds pretty mild, right? What we need to think about is after X number of drinks, what happens, how do we feel the next day.

I always thought the hangover was just the price I paid for all the "fun" I was having. NOT! It is not normal to feel that sick day after day. I'd call 911 if I ever woke up feeling like that now, thinking I must be dying.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Agreed.

I think the promise of a hangover (god, they got SO bad) is my number one reason to not pick up wine these days.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pipparina View Post
Cause thinking just about that first sip sounds pretty mild, right? What we need to think about is after X number of drinks, what happens, how do we feel the next day.

I think the important thing to realize, at least for me, is that I don't want one or two drinks. Sure, I would do that when going out to dinner with friends. Then I had no problem having a beer or two. But, when I drink alone at home, I am doing it to get drunk. I have no illusions that I want one drink and that will be enough. Not sure if other people are that way, but I am.

Understanding what we really are doing makes it much easier. I am not wanting to have a drink before bed to sleep easier, I would drink to get wasted and pass out on the couch.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My doc was wine too ophelia. The worst hangovers EVER and I hear you pipparina. I would probably call 911 too LOL My worst hangovers consisted of throwing up all day with a throbbing headache, crying because I couldn't even hold down one sip of water. Ick!!! Probably was so dehydrated I could've used an IV. Cheers to not having to deal with that anymore---cheers with a nice cup of morning joe
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was the same way Ritter! Could have one while out but preferred getting knock down drunk alone at home...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have some blood sugar issues woke with shakes tries to keep food in but it sure brought back memories, none good
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quit:

That is fantastic! Since I stopped drinking 53 days ago I can promise you that when I wake up each morning sober my first thought is, "Thank the gods that I don't have to deal with a hangover!" That feeling is nothing short of glorious!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice post! Hangovers are horrible.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ha I don't miss hangovers but I definitely don't miss comedowns. They were bloody horrible!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm retired and live in Mountian bike heaven. I love riding my bicycles...but if I drank the night before all I would do is NOTHING all day....not a great way to enjoy retirement....
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's been almost a year since my last beer and I still love not dealing with hangovers anymore. There are so many better ways to waste a day. Towards the end my hangovers were just awful.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just like me....Wine or beer were what I drank, and preferably alone. Drinking socially was the easy part, once I was alone, that's when I just drank to my heart's content.
And hangovers keep me going too. I'm 6 1/2 weeks sober, and whenever I consider drinking again, I just think of how I will undoubtedly feel the next day and that ends the whole conversation. I woke up each morning and my first thought is how incredibly grateful I am to not have that poison in my system and feel alive. I NEVER want to go back there again.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Amen! I was just talking to a friend about how nice is it is to be able to come and go via car as I please without worrying about drunk driving! Also remembering how AWFUL I'd feel after a binge.... ugh gives me chills just thinking about it... now knowing that I NEVER have to feel that way again. I am truly grateful!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a great thread.

I recall many a Sunday morning when I would be back at the bar at 6am, after just closing it at 2am, just four hours prior. If the bar had been open 24/7, well, I probably would have just stayed there, passed out in a corner, lol.

If those were the 'good ole days' then I'll take the days I have now over those days anytime.