Notices

Is something wrong with me

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is something wrong with me

Ok, so kind of a literal question, but I am curious...... I walked into the aa program this time shaking in my boots. Not because I was scared of sobriety or even scared of what they would say, I was scared of what I had to lose, not what I had to gain. I am not struggling with drinking, I just am not doing it any more. Ian going to meetings, I got a sponsor and I have begun working the steps. I am happy and free. I physically and emotionally feel at peace. Today I am strong enough to say, I am not looking down the road, I am focusing on today. One day at a time has gotten me to 11 days. That's all I have to worry about. I may not be happy all the time, but who is? Not drinking is the best decision I could make for myself. I am just worried a bit, I guess because at meetings all I hear about is how in early sobriety, people walked around mad at the world, and Ian not, so am I not normal?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It doesn't mean you won't have days like that...Enjoy them while you got them....Let's see....11 days....No alcohol....Going to meetings....Got a sponsor....Working the steps....Sounds like you're doing OK to me.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i think right now you just have an overabundance (if thats possible) of gratitude for being able to walk away, for getting sober. Nothing wrong with you. Try to hang on to those feelings! Remembering where we came from really helps keep us from going back down the wrong path again!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are normal. I mean, what is normal anyway? I think that we all feel different things on this road. You do not have to be mad at the world. Other people may be mad and hopefully they work through their anger... You are doing well. Keep up the good work. You've got it.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey falling. I'm not a long term sober guy, yet... but early on i wasn't mad at the world for not being able to drink....I was angry with myself for not realizing and doing something about it sooner.
I've loved being sober from the second I finally realized I can never drink again. Not all rosy and filled withsu shine, but I feel great and haven't had a drink in 80 something days.
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh....Did I leave out happy and free?......It get's better FT!!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!!! I just kinda feel wierd walking into meetings and laughing and having a good time. Some meetings are lighter than others, but I am embracing sobriety and loving it for what it is! This is my recovery and I am going to make the best of it! Of course not every moment of the day is hearts and flowers, but in general, it's awesome!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

in general, i wasn't an angry person in early recovery. i'm just not an angry person in general. i often felt lost and a bit confused and kinda scared but angry? nope. i think everyone's reaction to quitting drinking is a bit different. some people get mad, some sad, some surf the pink cloud and crash hard. i just kinda walked in a pink haze and slowly dealt with it. i don't think there is a "normal" really. just be diligent and vigilant in your recovery.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some days are better than others.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh I spend days mad at the world, not just because of drinking but because of the lousy cards I was dealt, and the fact is I am more mad at myself than anyone else at times! Your doing great
Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think you're doing great. Don't worry about what's "normal". It changes person to person and sometimes day to day. Just be prepared to weather all kinds of emotions as they come, and stick to your plan and you'll do fine.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I've been happy, joyous, and free since day 10. The life I live right now is rainbows and unicorns compared to the hell of the last 6 months of my drinking and using. I'm blown away at the life I'm living. Some people have suggested that I'm naiive and have pink cloud sobriety and stuff, but I now what I've been through and I know how I feel, and I know how much hard work and action I've put in to getting here. I'm sober and I'm gunna enjoy it. It would take a lot of hard work to find something for me to complain about. I am sure that my HP wants me to be happy, joyous, and free. Getting mad at the world and crap was only normal when I was a drunk addict. If that was normal in recovery I wouldn't want to recover. I want to recover because I wanna enter that 4th dimension and get those Promises!

If you're not mad and stuff. Good! Thats recovery baby! Now get out there and make the most it!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the 11 days. I had a blast emotionally in my sobriety like you describe and still am tickled with having broken free. Nothing wrong at all with being happy to get that monkey off our backs. I look forward to reading your upbeat posts.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm sure it's a combination of sleeping great, getting out of the vicious cycle a d thinking things through! It is such a relief to be free from the chains of alcohol. Any newcomer reading this, sobriety is something that requires more than foxhole prayers. It requires dedication an want for something better! You can do it! If we try half as hard not to drink as we did to drink, we can be free! Lol have a great day everyone! I know I will!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have had recoveries like that too.. but the more I relapsed the worse they got.

Nothing is wrong with you

Just stay strong but don't get over confident... it screwed me over in the past.