Notices

I NEED a drink :(

Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety Dat 26\10\2012

I NEED a drink :(

I have been sober for 15 days and it feels like forever, I was tempted to drink yesterday I was sat outside the off licence for ages and thankfully I didn't give into it but I have got a really bad craving tonight
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

me too

I just ate something hoping that would help.

It's day 13 for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
I have been sober for 15 days and it feels like forever, I was tempted to drink yesterday I was sat outside the off licence for ages and thankfully I didn't give into it but I have got a really bad craving tonight
Pay attention to HALT, Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. For me Hungry with a really big one. I would think I wanted a drink and really I wanted something to eat but see if the other ones are true and then try to do something about them.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You guys don't need a drink you WANT one.

Me too I WANT a drink I feel like I need one but I don't need one.

We've made it two weeks without a drink, we've made it through the worst part of withdrawal, The wort of the physical symptoms are over.

Your alcoholism/addict voice is trying to tell you, that you need a drink but that's not true.

It's just a craving. Distract yourself. Go to a meeting. Call a friend from AA or not from AA. Watch TV, read a book, reply to some posts here, turn on a movie, clean out your closet, reorganize your fridge...just do something to distract yourself and before you know it you won't be craving anymore!

Cravings are tough but they pass and when you get through it you feel so much better for not drinking right?

I reccomend writing down how you're feeling every time you want to drink. What happened BEFORE you wanted to drink? How were you feeling? What happened in the day? Who did you talk to? What happened during the day? How were you feeling emotionally and physically? It can help you identify triggers. What did you do instead? What else could you do if this happens again?

Getting to know yourself is very important. The best way to change behavior is to realize what causes it in the first place.

I don't know if you're in AA or some other form of recovery but perhaps go to a meeting or do something recovery based?

I've been sober two weeks but I spoke to a therapist and am looking into an outpatient rehab (for me it's dual diagnosis bc I have depression and an eating disorder along with substance abuse) even tho I've already gotten sober I really thinking getting into a program will be very helpful in teaching me how to deal with self-destructive tendencies and emotions I can't handle without drinking or using.

I think it's really important that we work at our recovery, which means in addition to not drinking we need to work a program and/or work in a program in order to get and STAY sober by learning to deal with emotions, loneliness, anger, anxiety and anything and everything we've spend so long numbing out.

I hope you don't drink tonight. You ARE strong enough! If you an make it two weeks, especially the first few days where your heart is racing and your hands are shaking and you can't sleep and all you can think I I WANT A DRINK you can get through this!

You resisted yesterday, you can do the same today. You will feel worse after you drink. It won't fix anything. You know you don't want to drink deep down or else you wouldn't have gotten sober in the fist place. It never leads to a positive place.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

alcohol takes no prisoners.....one... two drinks no problem early twenties, looking ok....married kids 5 or 6 drinks....kids getting older 8...9 drinks every day....on and on. Progressively alcohol will take over your life just like ivy covers a wall....it will stick to you....the smell will stick to you......it will take over your brain....you will plan your life around it...when to drink and how to drink. Alcohol takes no prisoners...It will make victims of your family.....take your job....take your self esteem....take your marriage.....if you are lucky it will leave you alive.....but by then your life won't be worth living......that is unless you stop.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What do you 'need' a drink for Dan? Assuming you're not in withdrawals and you aren't drinking to stop the shakes... do you need it to relax? Is there anything else that you can do instead which y'know, isn't going to kill you? Have a bath, watch some tv..Do you want to drink because someone upset you or is it just a case of wanting to get drunk. I found it really useful to try and find out what was causing my cravings so I could deal with it better. And I had a long list of fun things I could do instead of drinking. Think the drink through and go to a meeting x
Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Make a decision for each craving. Are you only taking a break from drinking till you feel a little better, or taking control of your life?

You are only nagging yourself when you get right down to it. When a nagger continues it is only because in the past the nagger usually gets what they want with the person they nag, if they keep it up long enough, and loud enough. Don't even play that game with yourself.

Keep posting. I found it helps.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
me too

I just ate something hoping that would help.

It's day 13 for me.
Correction: Day 15. Just checked. In bed with melatonin. Still cranky but didn't drink.

Thanks for starting the thread, Dan. I was thinking of you during the worst of it and hoping you were staying strong.

Thanks to all for advice/support.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety Dat 26\10\2012

Hello everyone thanks for all the replies I didn't end up drinking last night I put my earphones in and had music on full blast with my eyes shut lol it seems to work for me. Hope everyone is doing ok
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats for getting through it! It's hard to get through those really intense cravings, but I found that good days often follow the bad ones. It also makes the next time easier - you're building up your "sobriety muscle".
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it Dan x
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello everyone thanks for all the replies I didn't end up drinking last night I put my earphones in and had music on full blast with my eyes shut lol it seems to work for me. Hope everyone is doing ok
Well done.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Dan.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sheer will power only lasts for so long. Look at the alternatives on this site, AA,AVRT, SMART or others. Will power will always be important but there are easier ways that maxmimize will power. Make a plan to stay sober using methods that have worked for others.