Notices

Strange... and awful.. awfully strange?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange... and awful.. awfully strange?

I've been sober for a little over thirty days. Feeling wonderful!!

But, I've been in such a daze for the past 2 years that I really don't quite remember things..

Things have been coming back to me and I'm remembering things out of nowhere... I can't place it but certain things bring me back to memories that I don't even remember living..
It's really kind of freaking me out... I don't know if it's real or not..
Did you guys have this happen?

Also, I dreamt I relapsed last night. Woke up almost crying, freaking out.. super freaking out.. and soo so so relieved when I looked around and my room was clean and I was clean too!!!

Oh man, this sobriety thing is nuts.. but so amazing.

Hope you all are having/had wonderful sober days.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 30+ days! I too have these dreams, wake up scared ******** sometimes! Then I take a deep breath. Sobriety is nuts, but so were we when we would drink or use. But this is a good nuts! Who would have thought we could be so happy? If I had known it would be this satisfying, I would have gotten it right the first time around! Best wishes rag!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

In early recovery I experienced memories that I had long forgotten. When I got them I talked about them with my therapist and sponsor and I could find benefits of having remembered them. I've also had using dreams. Very common. When I have them now it is a huge relief when I wake up and realize that I'm still sober.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had all sorts of wierd things happen from 0-4 month. Brain freezes, not knowing where I was, dropping things, tripping over stuff, not being able to complete sentences, drinking nightmares.

Check out PAWS Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome it is the medical condition you are likely suffering from
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a newbie and have had a relapse dream. Quite common according to everyone on here. I haven't had the memory thing...yet...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Holy goodness falling, I like being sober nuts better than drunk nuts. hahaha.
RobC I have a hard time decided whether or not i'm remembering dreams or real life things. Its really wierd.

Thank you MI i'm doing really well at the moment, but yes i think sometimes I do still experience withdrawl. Meh.. I don't know.

And congrats quitforme All of this is totally worth the satisfaction of sobriety.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Big congrats on 30 plus days. I had very similar memory issues. Took quite a while for the fog to lift. Things continue to get clearer and I am able to differentiate what was real and what my alcohol fuddled mind put together more and more. I try not to dwell on it too long. I always say I am putting something I can't figure out up on a shelf till I am better equipped to handle it. The pieces continue to fall into place at 9 months sober.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin View Post
Holy goodness falling, I like being sober nuts better than drunk nuts. hahaha.
RobC I have a hard time decided whether or not i'm remembering dreams or real life things. Its really wierd.

Thank you MI i'm doing really well at the moment, but yes i think sometimes I do still experience withdrawl. Meh.. I don't know.

And congrats quitforme All of this is totally worth the satisfaction of sobriety.
That happens to me all the time, and I'm pretty sure it happened before I started using, it's just that now that I'm sober I remember dreams and so it's more likely to happen.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

congrats on your sober time! i swear, the relapse dreams still get me. at one point, i was having them multiple times a week. waking up crying, sure i had relapsed, even feeling physically hung over! now, i'm several weeks (wow...not even sure how many now!) without a dream....they come and they go. you just gotta learn to move past them and treat them as a reminder of how awful a real relapse would be.

i had a similar occurrence with my memory suddenly deciding to come back. for me, i was suddenly reminded of a very deep, dark, psychologically unstable point of my life when i was drinking. to be honest, it almost ripped me in two. i'd totally disassociated myself from it for a few years then BAM! it hit me full force again. now, i have those memories but i feel so removed from them. it's like i'm hearing about someone from a friend but actually, it's me and i lived through all that. i don't like the way it makes me feel and i'm not sure what i need to do about it. probably going to have to rehire my therapist and hash that out. who knows. i try not to dwell on it too much. all i know is that i've distilled all that times into key points of knowledge about myself and my life and i focus on that. i don't dwell too much on how i got that knowledge because, in my case, it's entirely too painful.

i'm glad to see someone else is experiencing the whole memory thing too. it really freaked me out (my blog is a nightmare) when it all hit me. i too continue to be amazed by sobriety. here i was, just wanting to quit drinking. i wasn't expecting all this other incredible stuff! what a ride!