spent yesterday in the ER

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

spent yesterday in the ER

with my mom for her alcoholism. She has been really sick, not eating anything, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. We thought she was having liver failure. My sister, grandmother and I showed up at her house and forced her to go to the ER. She was not cooperative. It ended with my dad getting one arm and me getting the other and dragging her up off the couch, at which point she pulled her legs up under her like a little kid, then complained we were hurting her. I said, fine, then put your legs down and walk, that's your choice.

Once we go to the ER she was a little more cooperative, signing herself in under threat of having us have to commit her against her will. Then she refused the IV and the gown and was just pretty much a pain in the ass. Eventually she allowed them to start an IV and take blood. She was vomiting up pretty much nothing the whole time though.

Her blood work came back saying pretty much that she's an alcoholic. All her liver enzymes were really high, her potassium was really low, she was still over the legal limit even though we'd been in the hospital for hours when they took her blood, and she had claimed that she only had one beer that morning. They said that if her potassium was any lower they would have had to admit her because it can cause heart attack. And I wonder if that's what killed her brother a couple months ago. They gave her a prescription for potassium and one for ativan to help with the shakes while she goes through withdraw. She swears that she's going to quit drinking, but still refuses rehab, aa, or any kind of help.

So, Im not entirely optimistic about her quitting, but I feel good about taking her. I feel like we might have prolonged her life a little by getting her the potassium. Seeing it in black and white, showing that she is killing herself seemed to shake her up. I am also glad that I got the proof that I'm not crazy. She keeps saying she doens't have a problem, and sometimes I wonder if I should believe her. Obviously, I'm not crazy.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to our corner. Sounds like you fit in here perfectly! I'm sorry you had to go through that. If you do want to consider committing her read my blog about my experience with it
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...treatment.html
Basically, it's pretty hard to accomplish but if you do it make sure it IS against her will or else she can sign herself out and she will. The first commitment may be 30 or 90 days and it's pretty much a relief for the family.

It does help to talk about it, keep posting and read the stickies above for some great insight from others.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this, however, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high that she will stay sober. IMO without a strong recovery program in place very few get and stay sober. This is a progressive disease that has no cure.

Keep posting, it will help...are you going to Alanon meetings? Have you read Codependent No More? If not, I would suggest that you do both.