Notices

Drained after a meeting

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drained after a meeting

It's been 3 weeks since my last drink and I have been attending meetings, but I am finding I am totally drained and feel very sleepy after a meeting.

It is still all very raw for me and very emotional and I'm struggling because I feel fab before I go to a meeting (could take on the world I could) but can't do nothing on my return
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can I ask what type of meetings you are going to? The reason I ask is that I have been to some meetings in which people discuss little else besides their problems. I find those exhausting. But, the meetings I attend in which we are talking about recovery, the solution, spiritual matters, the Big Book etc, I leave feeling great. Maybe a change in the type of meeting could help ya.

Also what comes to mind is that once you are working the steps, getting recovered and helping others, meetings take on a whole new meaning. They become less about getting and more about giving. I find this makes them much more exciting.

In any case, glad you are sticking with it.

Best wishes!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that Dorris...Is it emotionally draining because you can relate to what you hear?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
Also what comes to mind is that once you are working the steps, getting recovered and helping others, meetings take on a whole new meaning. They become less about getting and more about giving. I find this makes them much more exciting.
This is so true.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's still early days and as long as it's keeping me sober i'll keep going back.

Thanks both
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're doing great....Three weeks without a drink is huge. I can say for myself...I was lost early on....It was totally new to me. Asking someone that had been around a while to sponsor me....Show me the ropes so to speak...Made a big difference. I didn't even know how to do that...So I simply walked up to somebody that looked happy and talked about recovery and not problems all the time and asked them. Can you help me with this?...That's when AA changed for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Dorris, I agree with Sapling you are doing great! I would like to say that it is very important to pay attention to your internal dialogue, both mental and physical. I too at times felt as you did, drained at the end of a meeting..I noted the meetings that did that to me and avoided them in the future. If I may recommend replacing those meetings with activities that lift you up..for me exercise was huge as was reading. Finding balance in sobriety is key, eventually things balance out.