Notices

Alcohol withdrawl...your experience and advice please :)

Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawl...your experience and advice please :)

I am a 5'3 160 lb woman...I was drinking 12-18 beers a day and after many attempts am finally reaching out in hopes it helps. I've never made it past 2 or 3 days so I've never felt withdrawl I guess. I have heard I should ask a doctor but in my situation I can't be hospitalized or anything. Were you hospitalized or just daily visits? What has been your personal experience and do you har any advice?!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya, I was on half a bottle of vodka a day until last thursday. Then I switched to wine and cut down by a glass a day so avoid withdrawls and today nothing. I feel fine! Bet I wont sleep tonight though. Good luck x

I'm 5ft 3in and 9 stone - and british lol
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And was heavy drinking for about a year x
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds about like me but I don't trust myself to just drink one glass of wine. lol I guess if I start to get really sick ill just go to the doc. As good as I feel now I really doubt it will be too terrible. Fingers crossed! Congrats on gettin sober too
Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hope you get some helpful responses Emhow
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I already made a doctors appointment and talked to a nurse. Going in tomorrow as soon as I find a baby sitter. Yay!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Emhow

I'm really glad you're seeing a doctor - detox can be problematic and sometimes even dangerous for us.

I'm glad you're OK Swindon but I had a very bad 'home alone' detox.
I don't recommend that.

It's simply best to be safe

D
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I'm two days in and not really feeling anything different at all aside from being thirsty (drinking a lot of water)... I'm thinking the thirsty part is stemming from now being around the time I usually cracked open my first beer...

I was drinking 12-24 beers a night during the week and more on the weekends. I did take a tylonol PM last night to help me fall asleep... I'm 39 years old, 6'2" 210lbs (male).

I'm wondering if it is because I was usually mostly "sober" during the day that I'm not feeling much different? I've never drunk at work.... Hoping it isn't just a delayed reaction!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Just a bit of one of my detox.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-2-weeks.html

Wish you well, and quitting is the best thing I have ever done..
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So far so good. In bed, awake but don't feel I'll or anything. I just drank in the evenings though and never to black out stages. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel worse...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

maybe tomorrow you will feel even better?

i was achey and thirsty too. from being so dehydrated, you don't realize this when you are drinking.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawl

I have been drinking heavaly over the past 3 years - yesterday was my day of death - I had the worst withdrawl ever. The worst thing is I was finally prepared to go cold turkey, until the Dr told me I couldn't as its sangerous and just to gradually cut down, but it doesn't work!!! I was even secretly drinking vodka at work, disguised in a water bottle that was glued to my hand. Then iv'e now just fired me - which has depressem me more. I just don't know what to do.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emhow84 View Post
I am a 5'3 160 lb woman...I was drinking 12-18 beers a day and after many attempts am finally reaching out in hopes it helps. I've never made it past 2 or 3 days so I've never felt withdrawl I guess. I have heard I should ask a doctor but in my situation I can't be hospitalized or anything. Were you hospitalized or just daily visits? What has been your personal experience and do you har any advice?!
Alcohol withdrawl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been drinking heavaly over the past 3 years - yesterday was my day of death - I had the worst withdrawl ever. The worst thing is I was finally prepared to go cold turkey, until the Dr told me I couldn't as its sangerous and just to gradually cut down, but it doesn't work!!! I was even secretly drinking vodka at work, disguised in a water bottle that was glued to my hand. Then iv'e now just fired me - which has depressem me more. I just don't know what to do.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Maisy

I don't know what detox facilities are available in South Korea - can you see another Dr? or go to the local hospital?

D
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I would dry heave a lot and barely slept. That lasted about 3 weeks. Exercise will balance out the insomnia, imo. Worked for me! Oh, and i started to crave sugar. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I did a 7 day in hospital detox. Painless and safer. Still sober.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I finally quit, it wasn't something that I'd intended (had to try because of liver damage), so I wasn't on full bender moder. Probably about a month before when I'd been hitting it really hard, drunk every day for about ten days, that when I stopped from that my hangover was basically a whitdrawl, but I thought of it as a hangover since I had no intention to stop at that point. It was pretty bad, shaking like it was cold in my apartment, couldn't get out of bed, liver tender. I guess when I started up again that's why the withdrawl stopped, and the rest of the times I drank were less extreme, so I sort of inadvertently eased out of it. I'd deff talk to a doctor about it. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I made it through the night :-) Had bad dreams and little sleep, also woke up covered in sweat but not hungover :-)))) I really really want to do this x
Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think from what i've read that withdrawal is different for everyone and the best advice is just to listen to what your body is telling you. Today is only day 6 for me, from drinking 2,bottles of wine every night, and so far all i've experienced is fatigue and sugar cravings.
I know its not the healthiest way to quit but i'm eating lots of chocolate and getting plenty of sleep because thats what I feel I need to do right now, not drinking is the main priority for me at the moment.
However its really important to remember that everyones body is different and reacts to change differently so your withdrawal will never be exactly the same as mine or anyone elses, you need to listen to your body and make sure you give it what it needs and get any help you need while you're mqking this adjustment
Good luck x