It still haunts me....

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

It still haunts me....

One night, shortly after my husband relapsed, we were talking and arguing. I professed my love for him and how much I wanted him to work on his recovery - for him!! blah, blah blah

He turned and looked at me with complete sincerity and said "Really? I see a woman who wants her husband clean and sober for her own selfish reasons." At first, I was furious about such an ignorant statement. How dare he!! Didn't he know how much I loved him and wanted him to be happy?? I have hung in there and been oh so supportive. blah, blah, blah

However, the comment haunted me and I could not get it off my mind. It really bothered me and I didn't know why. Then it occurred to me! He was right! His sobriety was really all about me and how it effected me. I really had my own selfish reasons and agenda. OUCH!!

If you understand my post, please feel free to add some insight.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe the statement you made was about both of you.

A marriage is a two way street, addicts don't see anything that way.

We also , as humans , want those we love and care about to be happy and healthy, not out of control.

It's a ******** statement he flung at you. When you enter a marriage, its suppose to be a partnership.

A marriage with and addict is not a partnership, it's a union that supports addiction or it's not a union at all. You could turn his statement around on him.

Don't buy the bull honey, all was doing was manipulating you to try to throw it all back on you.

Hurt me to read your post. All discussions with my A never included my feelings, my dreams, my needs, my happiness. You want him to be sober because addiction is a sickness, none of us want our loved ones to be sick.

His sobriety is not on you, but the dysfunction in your relationship is on both of you. He would never be able to look at his part when he is active.

xo
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He turned and looked at me with complete sincerity and said "Really? I see a woman who wants her husband clean and sober for her own selfish reasons."

Wow this blows me away, LMN, what would he describe as YOUR selfish reasons for wanting his sobriety.

If wanting peace and happiness, loving and caring relationships, being treated with respect and honor etc... is selfish, than we are all selfish.

It is our God given right to be Loved and respected.

Thanks for the post, I needed to read that today.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

It's wasn't really about what he had to say, it was more about how it made me feel.

My attempts to control, fix, rescue and change him were selfish. It was filling a need in me and my ego that I wasn't really away of.

As for the marriage- I chose to stay. The question that needed to be answered was...why?? The answer had far more to do with me then I was willing to admit!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

LMN

Just my thoughts ~ for me there was some truth in those types of acusations my now exah would toss back at me - yes there were partly selfish reasons I wanted him to get sober - after all - I had made plans for our life together - I had well thought out dreams of what would and could happen if he stay sober ~ a good life for us, our daughters, grandchildren etc. . . but what I learned in recovery is that I had to allow each person the respect and dignity to choose their OWN life ~ to walk their own path. I also had the freedom to walk mine.

I really wasn't planning bad things - I just didn't have to right to plan another adult's life especially if it wasn't the life they wanted. . .

This was just my awakening . . . I discovered we wanted different things ~ my exah wanted to go back to his life of the active disease - I wanted to stay in active recovery ~ for me - these lives couldn't survive in the same household in a sane & serene manner ~

We each had to respect the other's choice ~ it was painful ~ not sure about him, but I know I am much happier now ~

Wishing you the best
PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you Rita for sharing. The more I thought about his comment, the more I saw the truth about ME! It was really a turning point for me to acknowledge it. I was still looking at him to make me happy, meet my needs, financially support us, and make "our" life better again. I was still refusing to be responsible for ME and my own happiness.

With a lot of hard work, I am learning to change my thinking. He is still working his recovery but that is NOT all that matters to me anymore.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
I was still looking at him to make me happy, meet my needs, financially support us, and make "our" life better again. I was still refusing to be responsible for ME and my own happiness.
I remember when I realized I did this - depended on other people for my own happiness. I just couldn't figure out why it wasn't happening. The happy I mean. People always failed me in that respect.

It was a damn epiphany when I figured it out and started making some changes. The happy started happening!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get you LMN. I think I too had selfish reasons for AH getting sober, I wanted my life back on track. Come to figure though that we have both been unhappy for awhile and his sobriety would not fix some of the longstanding issues in our relationship. We had both checked out in our own way.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by FindingErica View Post
I get you LMN. I think I too had selfish reasons for AH getting sober, I wanted my life back on track. Come to figure though that we have both been unhappy for awhile and his sobriety would not fix some of the longstanding issues in our relationship. We had both checked out in our own way.
...and you didn't need him anyway, your life is gettig back track without him.

Plus who needs a Helen Keller who threatens with tictoc!! :rotfxko
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I professed my love for him and how much I wanted him to work on his recovery - for him!! blah, blah blah

He turned and looked at me with complete sincerity and said "Really? I see a woman who wants her husband clean and sober for her own selfish reasons."
I don't believe for one moment you were being selfish. What the hell is wrong with wanting a husband who is clean and sober??? What is he doing for the marriage. As others have posted - marriage is a two way street. So is every relationship we are involved in - be it marriage, friendship, lovers, siblings, parents. I get tired of always hearing how the moment we 'ask' our addicted love one to seek recovery - that we are displaying codependent behaviour -and we aught to look at ourselves and our own shortfailings... but what the hell happened to 'sense of duty'. I believe we have a moral duty to behave the best way possible, to look after ourselves, our health our minds - in order to be the BEST, the STRONGEST person we can - in order to play a positive, strong, loving role in the lives of the ones we love. I get so tired of how the addicts always seem to get away with never having to demonstrate responsibility or show any moral fibre....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get what you are saying, but I also think that when 2 people get married they are supposed to become one in agreement. I know for me, I want my AH to be sober because WE BOTH (and our children) deserve more than his addiction has given us. He is not living a joyful life and that breaks my heart. My life is joyful , and miserable. I want him to be sober, so we can have the fullness of life together. Is it egotistical for me to want him sober? I don't believe so, I have been in this for 16 years and am just realizing that i can stay and still have joy, but I deserve more, we all do. I left 8 weeks ago, but I dicn't leave under the assumption that i am not happy, i left under the assumption that he cant get better with me and what if he actually gets clean because i left. Because the responsibility will finally be on him to see what he is made of.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Lara - I am just trying to work on me without blaming him for all my problems (which I did for a long time).

He has to take accountability but I do too. I played a role in the sickness of my relationship. Whether or not he stays clean is now his business, my business is to get healthy and have healthy relationships.

IMO, a healthy person would not continue to live with an active addict. His getting clean was not the solution to my issues as I had once believed.

I am only speaking for me. Take what you want and leave the rest!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lara - I am just trying to work on me without blaming him for all my problems (which I did for a long time).

He has to take accountability but I do too. I played a role in the sickness of my relationship. Whether or not he stays clean is now his business, my business is to get healthy and have healthy relationships.

IMO, a healthy person would not continue to live with an active addict. His getting clean was not the solution to my issues as I had once believed.

I am only speaking for me. Take what you want and leave the rest!
LovemeNot you sound strong and I admire you. I was just stating that I believe you are 'entitled' to ask he seeks recovery. But yes, I completely agree that you / we play a role in the sickness and the relationship and we need to look at ourselves. And you are quite right "A healthy person would not continue to live with an active addict" - IMO a healthy person would value themselves so much more!
All the very best to you!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Lara View Post
LovemeNot you sound strong and I admire you. I was just stating that I believe you are 'entitled' to ask he seeks recovery. But yes, I completely agree that you / we play a role in the sickness and the relationship and we need to look at ourselves. And you are quite right "A healthy person would not continue to live with an active addict" - IMO a healthy person would value themselves so much more!
All the very best to you!!!
Oh, I asked, I demanded, I threatened, I punished, I belittled....I did it all. The victim "seat" I was in had become too comfortable.

I am far from strong, but I am working hard to get there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lara I agree with you, that it isn't selfish to want a non-addicted partner. When I married AH he was clean and sober. Also we have children and I believe when one chooses to become a parent they morally are obligated to care for those children, and part of that is to remain clean and sober. I don't think it is selfish to say that I can't agree with drugs being brought into our relationship when I have no desire to have them there.

On the flip side, I think it can be selfish to want to force someone to be something they are not wanting to be. Or to want someone to be sober so they will continue doing things for you that you can do for yourself. So it is a fine line I guess.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=FindingErica;3616743
On the flip side, I think it can be selfish to want to force someone to be something they are not wanting to be. Or to want someone to be sober so they will continue doing things for you that you can do for yourself. So it is a fine line I guess.[/QUOTE]

Erica you are so right - it is a fine line. I know looking back at my childhood and recognising my mum's role in my dad's alcoholism (yes, isn't it easy to look at someone else's life - and not one's own) - I adore my mum, am very close to her, alwas have been - but always felt 'sorry' for mum as a young person. We all did (my siblings) - mum worked like a dog as Dad was most of the time too drunk to keep a job. He always had his own business so made it much easier to just not do a damn thing...mum always seemed to put everyone else's needs above her own... Dad died 11 years ago aged 51! And only from joining SR (due to my relationship with H - and his cocaine addiction - Liar, Liar, Range Rover on Fire) - did I begin to learn about MYSELF and read 'Co-dependent No more'. The moment I finished reading it I gave it to my mum and sister - my God - my mum was so manipulative. And in some strange way it suited her that Dad was drunk. Easier to play the 'burning martyr' then actually face the reality that we are responsible for our own lives.
But in my mum's situation I don't think it was selfish at all to want a sober husband to help with the parenting etc etc etc.... mum was just clueless as to enabling, addiction etc etc.
But now I need to look at MYSELF and my love affair with H. Why am I still here?? Why do I want to 'change him'?? Do I really accept he is an addict?? Do I really accept my role in his behaviour? Have I truly detached?? Why do I want him 'clean'? Was he ever really clean? Do I really know him?? Are we really 'best friends / lovers"?? Maybe there is a dark side to me that is quite taken by the 'bad boy' image? Maybe I am more in love with the 'idea of H' rather then who he truly is?? Do I want him 'clean' and 'sober' to do 'more for me' - to make me feel more secure about my future? To be guaranteed of always been financially secure?? These are all things I need to provide for myself. I already do - I am comletely independent - but sometimes my mind toys with the idea of having someone 'bigger' than me to 'take care of me'....Tough questions - ones I need to address....
Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Great insight Lara. I, too, had to ask myself many of the same hard questions. This recovery stuff is tough work.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lara I think those are great questions, the journey to the answers is likely part of your journey to a healthier you.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What I am really trying to say ......(with a poor example of a one sided argument) is -

What I have learned about me is that when I am trying to fix or rescue someone, if I examine my own motives more closely, they are almost always to fill a selfish need in me. A need to be right, a need to feel loved, a need for self worth, a need for power, a need for control, etc.

I finally understand what Outtolunch means when she says Codependency is the disease of the ego. I guess I am just a slow learner.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I want a husband who doesn't cheat, use drugs or rob banks.

That's not selfish, that's setting boundaries in my life of what I will or will not accept. If my husband did any of the above, he would not last one day in my world.

Luckily that hasn't been an issue with me. But the same boundaries would apply to my son, my brother, my friend. Selfish? I think not. Self-protective and true to my values...indeed.

Just my thoughts.

Hugs