Notices

49 days sober and trouble focusing at work...

Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

49 days sober and trouble focusing at work...

Every other part of my life has improved tremendously since I quit drinking. I used to come to work so hungover that I would spend my mornings recovering from the mental fog and my afternoons just getting by. So, as you can imagine, I got myself really behind on my work from being hungover for so long. Even though I haven't had a drink for 49 days, I am finding it impossible to focus at work. I am easily overwelmed by all the work I have to do, yet I can't seem to get my @$$ into gear and git 'er done! I'm not quite sure what's wrong with me. I certainly don't want to lose my job. I am getting a ton of stuff done at home, but here at work I can't quite get over the hump. Anyone have any advice for me, or perhaps are experiencing the same thing? I'm coming up for my annual performance evaluation in a few weeks and really need to figure something out before then!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pippo. Good work on the 49 days Could it be (regarding the work issue & me now knowing what kind of work it is) that you just don't know where to begin? There are certain aspects of my work that got really out of control during the last couple years of my active alcoholism and it took until September of this year for me to get them straightened out-I have been sober since March of 2011! In my case I was so overwhelmed that I kept procrastinating. It was unfiled taxes and some other critical paperwork in my case. I finally just had to start somewhere, right or wrong, and get it done.

Do you just need to take that first step to get the ball rolling, workwise? One thing I have realized too is that in trying to do every single thing perfect, sometimes nothing at all gets done. Just Start!! It's ok.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response, MsJax. You really hit the nail on the head with your post. It's procrastination, a lot of it. There are a few things that I simply keep putting off because I have gotten sooo behind I don't feel like I'll ever catch up. I have the problem of wanting everything to be done perfectly, too, just like you mentioned. I like the encouragement you gave me that it's OK to just start. THANK YOU!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pippo
Congrats on the 49 days. That went fast!
What helped me in the beginning was to do what was right in front of me. Not worry about all the work I had, just what was right there in front of me. Slowly I whittled away and didn't feel overwhelmed
I still get that way now. I have to take a breath and just tackle one thing. It still works.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Pippa. That makes perfect sense.