Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 8 and I am learning that I am very lonely person inside...

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I never really thought of myself as lonely...I have great friends, a great boyfriend and 2 kids but without the alcohol I have never felt so lonely. I lived in a very abusive marriage for many years. Physically and mentally and as much as I love my parents my father is very hard to please and being at their home and being raised in it was very tense. I feel so sad inside and alone. Alcohol takes that loneliness away for me. Funny how I never realized this before. I am not sure how to not feel lonely..my boyfriend is trying to understand and says you have me don't be lonely. But the loneliness is so deep. I knew I had a drinking problem but didnt realize I had other issues. I am sure that sounds crazy. But I didn't. I always thought I came out of these relationships unscathed. I am feeling like the stress of going to my parents is too much to handle now. I have never felt good enough to my father...he is very successful and a perfectionist. I am not sure what to do about my relationship with my dad..is it bad for me?? I think so. I just feel lost and forgive me for rambling. I just feel like I am wondering nowhere right now...all by myself. I have had no joy yesterday or today. As much as the joy I had when drinking was a facade it masked I guess pain and loneliness I didnt really know what there. What to do now. I can't afford therapy and I want to stay sober. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer to me. Congratulations just for being here on this incredible forum. Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Alcohol takes that loneliness away for me.
In my opinion alcohol dosn't take the lonliness away it just smothers and blotts out stuff or even worse makes us not care.

I feel that those of us that used alcohol as a way of coping with life needed to find new ways of dealing with the ups and downs.

A lot of people find working the steps of AA useful and the fellowship it offers , councelling, therapy, self-help books, spiritual books, spiritual teachers .. life ring, AVRT, CBT, meditation, excersise . There is lots to try .

The one thing that dosn't work is not trying and not changing things .

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I spent my last couple years drinking in isolation...It doesn't get more alone than that. I found a whole new world of people exactly like me....New friends doing what I wanted to do. Amazing...And it's free. My suggestion....Check out this site and check out a few meetings....What have you got to lose?

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found the people close to me were the people I turned my back on when they tried to tell me I had a problem, I didn't want to hear it from them, I would shut myself away from my family and drink, I couldn't deal with it all until I had no choice.

I changed little things each day, as posted before I had a song that inspired my everyday to do something about it, to find the people who can help.

I chose Church and have not looked back since, I love it , the people there are so supportive and have never judged me, even when I told them my worst secrets of my last few years.

I feel I have come out of the darkness that I was living and I feel so alive now.

Keep the faith, stay strong.

Wayne
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I drank in high school I was popular. I quit when I was about 27, was married, had my first child and got deeply involved in Church. All the "popular friends" I prided myself on having while drinking did not stay in touch. They all said they were proud of me etc, etc but we did not hang out. Partly because I didn't have anything in common with them anymore. I never really made close friends at Church (came back to bite me) and didn't mind the fact that it was just me, my wife and my kids.
My wife and I went through a tough time (I drank some behind her back after she went to sleep) and we separated. We had a really good Phycologist / marriage councilor and worked things out. During our time apart we both drank fairly regular. We got back together and decided to drink together without hiding it. Our councilor advised against it because he thought I was alcoholic. I talked my wife into believing that I was not and away we went. We were happy most of the summer but my drinking and lying got worse. Currently I don't know if she will stay with me or not. I have been depressed and lonely until today. I feel much better and it is because of the fact that I now have a purpose for my life. My goal is to become a public speaker targeting young people who have not take taken their first drink or at least it has not yet gotten out of control.
I pray that it is powerful enough to inspire people to just stay away from alcohol.
To have a purpose makes me feel whole. My dad is hard to pleas as well. I am not trying to plead him anymore. I just want to live up to my potential. That makes me happy and it is all our God expects and wants from us. I have every reason to be sad and lonely. My wife may leave me, my dad barely speaks but I am happy and feel peace more today than I have in a long time.
You have potential and their is something in your life for you to accomplish that will make you feel whole and happy. I will pray that you find it and I hope you do the same. For me.... It starts with a relationship with my creator. I trust him to lead me.
Work to meet your potential in whatever you are good at in life.
I hope you feel better soon. This feeling of yours will pass.... Just take it one day at a time.
Send me a PM if I can help you...... God bless you and your efforts!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand some of what you say. I also am realizing I am a very lonely person. I always used to think I liked to be alone, but not so sure anymore, and drinking was a way to escape from that.

Since you have great friends, children, and a boyfriend maybe spending time with them will help. Maybe you should do some research into depression. Just a suggestion, I am no expert, just a sufferer.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early days of recovery are always rough - often there's a bit of grief in there, certainly a little depression, and sometimes a blunt realisation that things weren't perhaps as they seemed all those years.

It's all a lot to take in, missing - be gentle with yourself...and try not to worry - how you feel today is not how you'll feel for the rest of your life...things can and do get better

D
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post Lyingdog

I chose church too, I trust in our God too and pray he will always be there to guide me and give me the strength to keep going.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Missinghteoldme - My goodness we share a lot in common. I realized many years ago that I could look back all the way to high school and college where I was considered bubbly and friendly and likeable and realized in truth, I was always very lonesome and alone in reality. I never connected with people on a real level. It sounds like maybe you feel that way too. I had a ral Dad and a step-dad. My real Dad was absent and we barely had a relationship. My step-dad loved me but he grew up in anorphanage and never really learned how to show approval or be demonstrative. I wish I could offer you some serious words of wisdom but I can't I guess. Maybe the best thing for us is to stay sober instead of letting booze help us smother our truths and our pain and see what actually shows up. I know we must be wonderful loving people who are deserving, we just somehow got the wrong message as we grew up. I am going to try to nurture myself and my inner heart with reading books that address it and just trying to be good to myself and be patient to see how I feel once I am out of this huge fog. I don't know if this help in any way, I just wanted to let you know you are absolutely not alone.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are right Mecanix...doing nothing and the same will not fix anything. I have to work on this...and after I drink the loneliness is even worse. Thanks for sharing your wisdom
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are right

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I spent my last couple years drinking in isolation...It doesn't get more alone than that. I found a whole new world of people exactly like me....New friends doing what I wanted to do. Amazing...And it's free. My suggestion....Check out this site and check out a few meetings....What have you got to lose?

Your First AA Meeting<
Thanks Sapling...I do have nothing to lose. I will give it a try...thanks so much
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynemali View Post
I found the people close to me were the people I turned my back on when they tried to tell me I had a problem, I didn't want to hear it from them, I would shut myself away from my family and drink, I couldn't deal with it all until I had no choice.

I changed little things each day, as posted before I had a song that inspired my everyday to do something about it, to find the people who can help.

I chose Church and have not looked back since, I love it , the people there are so supportive and have never judged me, even when I told them my worst secrets of my last few years.

I feel I have come out of the darkness that I was living and I feel so alive now.

Keep the faith, stay strong.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne for sharing and taking time for me....I will keep the faith...happy you have found the light.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyingdog View Post
When I drank in high school I was popular. I quit when I was about 27, was married, had my first child and got deeply involved in Church. All the "popular friends" I prided myself on having while drinking did not stay in touch. They all said they were proud of me etc, etc but we did not hang out. Partly because I didn't have anything in common with them anymore. I never really made close friends at Church (came back to bite me) and didn't mind the fact that it was just me, my wife and my kids.
My wife and I went through a tough time (I drank some behind her back after she went to sleep) and we separated. We had a really good Phycologist / marriage councilor and worked things out. During our time apart we both drank fairly regular. We got back together and decided to drink together without hiding it. Our councilor advised against it because he thought I was alcoholic. I talked my wife into believing that I was not and away we went. We were happy most of the summer but my drinking and lying got worse. Currently I don't know if she will stay with me or not. I have been depressed and lonely until today. I feel much better and it is because of the fact that I now have a purpose for my life. My goal is to become a public speaker targeting young people who have not take taken their first drink or at least it has not yet gotten out of control.
I pray that it is powerful enough to inspire people to just stay away from alcohol.
To have a purpose makes me feel whole. My dad is hard to pleas as well. I am not trying to plead him anymore. I just want to live up to my potential. That makes me happy and it is all our God expects and wants from us. I have every reason to be sad and lonely. My wife may leave me, my dad barely speaks but I am happy and feel peace more today than I have in a long time.
You have potential and their is something in your life for you to accomplish that will make you feel whole and happy. I will pray that you find it and I hope you do the same. For me.... It starts with a relationship with my creator. I trust him to lead me.
Work to meet your potential in whatever you are good at in life.
I hope you feel better soon. This feeling of yours will pass.... Just take it one day at a time.
Send me a PM if I can help you...... God bless you and your efforts!
Lyingdog...I was always popular but felt much like you. It is funny you mention you want to help others...that is what I eventually want to do. I feel it is what I am supposed to do someday. I love people and don't what others to ever end up here....or there because I am better. 8 days better I will take one day at a time and look forward to feeling happier. I am so happy you have found your happiness through all the heartache. I needed to read this today...thanks for taking time for me today.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The early days of recovery are always rough - often there's a bit of grief in there, certainly a little depression, and sometimes a blunt realisation that things weren't perhaps as they seemed all those years.

It's all a lot to take in, missing - be gentle with yourself...and try not to worry - how you feel today is not how you'll feel for the rest of your life...things can and do get better

D
Thanks Dee...I have all of what you mentioned and suffer from depression to begin with...so this doesn't help. And yes I think lots of realizations are occurring and I am not liking it I will take it easier on myself...thank you and look forward to the better . Appreciate your help.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misterritter View Post
I understand some of what you say. I also am realizing I am a very lonely person. I always used to think I liked to be alone, but not so sure anymore, and drinking was a way to escape from that.

Since you have great friends, children, and a boyfriend maybe spending time with them will help. Maybe you should do some research into depression. Just a suggestion, I am no expert, just a sufferer.

Good luck.
Thanks Mister...I do suffer from depression so that doesn't help right now...but the loneliness is so real so strong. I guess I lost what I thought was my best friend...the achohol. I need to stop isolating myself...thank you for your kind words and taking time for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Welcomingthenew View Post
Dear Missinghteoldme - My goodness we share a lot in common. I realized many years ago that I could look back all the way to high school and college where I was considered bubbly and friendly and likeable and realized in truth, I was always very lonesome and alone in reality. I never connected with people on a real level. It sounds like maybe you feel that way too. I had a ral Dad and a step-dad. My real Dad was absent and we barely had a relationship. My step-dad loved me but he grew up in anorphanage and never really learned how to show approval or be demonstrative. I wish I could offer you some serious words of wisdom but I can't I guess. Maybe the best thing for us is to stay sober instead of letting booze help us smother our truths and our pain and see what actually shows up. I know we must be wonderful loving people who are deserving, we just somehow got the wrong message as we grew up. I am going to try to nurture myself and my inner heart with reading books that address it and just trying to be good to myself and be patient to see how I feel once I am out of this huge fog. I don't know if this help in any way, I just wanted to let you know you are absolutely not alone.
Oh welcoming...you have helped greatly and thank you for sharing and reaching out to me. You offered me great words of wisdom...believe me. I think I did get the wrong message...you said that perfectly that it hit a chord with me. I have never looked at it that way before. I am going to work on nurturing my soul. Thanks so much
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are most welcome,

Listen to the songs below, I find music helps:

"You Are More" by Tenth Avenue North
"Beautiful" by MercyMe

I Hope they inspire you too.

UR>
Wayne
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes I knowl loney but here we are. I drank away my family but there is always today. I can never repair yesterday but I have todsy My best to you
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are so welcome Missing - You know years ago I had to face a family friend who had sexually abused me years prior. I hadn't seen him since the night it happened probably 20 years before and it was so weird. I was attending his Father's funeral. I remember refusing to make eye contact or speak to him the whole week-end that I was in town and had to be in the same room with him. But when I started to leave I just had to go up to him and say "I'm sorry about your Dad, I loved him alot". I had grown up knowing this family. Well, on the way home (a very long drive) I was in such a strange place emotionally. I turned on the radio and Elton John's song "Blessed" came on right away. I swear it was as though it was just for me at that moment, being sung directly to me. It has been a healing song for me ever since. If you don't know the song give it a listen, and put yourself in place of the child he is referring to in the song. Sorry for the long post but it needed a little explanation! :-)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Amazing

Originally Posted by Welcomingthenew View Post
You are so welcome Missing - You know years ago I had to face a family friend who had sexually abused me years prior. I hadn't seen him since the night it happened probably 20 years before and it was so weird. I was attending his Father's funeral. I remember refusing to make eye contact or speak to him the whole week-end that I was in town and had to be in the same room with him. But when I started to leave I just had to go up to him and say "I'm sorry about your Dad, I loved him alot". I had grown up knowing this family. Well, on the way home (a very long drive) I was in such a strange place emotionally. I turned on the radio and Elton John's song "Blessed" came on right away. I swear it was as though it was just for me at that moment, being sung directly to me. It has been a healing song for me ever since. If you don't know the song give it a listen, and put yourself in place of the child he is referring to in the song. Sorry for the long post but it needed a little explanation! :-)
I am so sorry you had to go through such abuse as a child and my heart goes out to you. You are truly and very loving and unselfish person. What an amazing thing you did that day. You were true to your heart. I love Blessed...I actually own it. I had to listen to it on youtube just now and do exactly as you suggested. I broke down...and I thank you I will turn to that song over and over again to remind myself of how pure and special I am. I am crying as a write but in a good way. Thanks my friend. hugs