Notices

New here, in need of support

Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, in need of support

This is day 1 for me and I really feel good about it (although I am approaching my usual drinking time of the day). I have been keeping myself busy, drinking lots of water and I have vitamins and Ativan on hand. I want to do this for myself and for my family. I am tired of missing out on life!!!!!!!!!!

My husband travels during the week and our one and only child is in grade school. I work part time as a librarian. Any support from SR will be great!

Here is to day 1!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR anchorbird....You're making a great choice....Glad to have you with us!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you want to join some people that are quitting this month...Just say hello in this thread for the class of October...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Wanting to stop is a very good first step but for most of us it took a battle plan. I cut and pasted this from a previous post. Although her situation is a little differant she has a great plan to keep sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsong
I'm doing 90 AA meetings or more in 90 days, working the steps, meeting with my sponsor, going to a counselor, and attending aftercare 4 days a week. Staying busy, getting back into school, picking up some new hobbies. I also told my alcoholic husband to move out until after the first of the year - then we will reevaluate whether or not we should stay together.

I think it will work well.

Now that is a PLAN!!!!! Sounds like you learned a thing or two. You are ready to rock and roll in sobriety. You are putting nothing ahead of your sobriety including your husband. My hats off to you for doing what needs to be done. Also you are filling your time which was one of my big challenges. I did not realize how much time was burned up being drunk. I sobered up and had all of this extra time on my hands. As they say idle hands are a devils workshop which is very true for me. I had to fill my days from the second I got up till I went to bed

AA saved my life so I am a huge fan. Just do what you need to do a day at a time and listen to the old timers they know what they are doing.

Welcome to sobriety you deserve it
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

When my husband was away on business, it was a huge trigger for me to drink. Try to plan something during the days to vary your routine. Can you help out at your child's school, maybe visit a friend, take a long walk, whatever you can do to get through the time.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I can relate with having a "time" of day when I would start drinking. Usually around 3-4pm.

Home alone, bored, wanted to change something. Change the way I felt. Make it more fun...make life more fun. That's all I wanted. To feel good, to relax.

I would often cook and drink. Clean and drink. But I drank too much.

I didn't have one or two.

Then came the problems.

I cannot have one drink. One leads to two.

I have to take actions daily to help me to be able to not drink.

Prayers to God, the AA program, SR, and women I call that are AA members all help me to find my way.

I think it's great that you wish to change and be a healthy sober, mother and wife.

It really is the easier softer way. A life with no illness from drinking too much, a life with less fighting, and hurt caused by drinking.

Go for it!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, you'll love it here. Great support and comfort.

Well done on day 1, it's a huge step.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR anchorbird

D
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

welcome to SR Anchor. congrats on day 1 of the new life for you and your family ... life is to short to miss out on lifes activities .

Keeping busy is a big help . careful not to outdo your things to do . lo
Try makin a list when your in down time , can be lil things or big things like painting a room . It was a big help to me when I couldnt think of something to do I looked at he lit to recall . anyways welcome to the site . ~ huggles Endzy ~
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone's well wishes. I am dealing with a massive headache today and want to scream. What did some of you do to help ease your side-effects?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Anchorbird

I did whatever I could to ease my side effects, took baths, used herbal stuff like tiger balm for the headaches, lots of chocolate, herbal tea and good food. Most of all I looked at it as one last giant hangover. And I'd been drinking to stave off hangovers for years so it was a long one! It got a little better every day though, I'm sure yours will too x