Notices

Ill in bed who struggles?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ill in bed who struggles?

Hi Guys

I am laid up in bed with a serious infection in a tumour in my knee, the pain has been awful but being laid up reminds me of my drinking days. I am confined to bed and can't leave my flat. Very lonely and isolated just like I did when I drank. I am not in the least bit tempted to drink but for me I always drank when sick just to numb the pain. Its the feelings I have now that worry me.

Has anyone else struggled whilst being ill?

Ally
x
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I have to say I have been blessed for the last 15 months of recovery, I have not been real ill...

I am glad your doing well though, so just kill alot of time here. Cause you know your not alone like those drinking days .. Your in the SR family , jump in the chat room and watch the hours fly by...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand, I feel the same!
I was in bed all last week, really ill.

Isolated, scared, fed up, cross, sad, angry. I think the angry comes from that I have worked hard to not drink, not be hungover and then when illness strikes, I feel cheated to be confined to bed or in bed.

I also know though that I am not good at relaxing and taking care of myself though. I like being busy, I like trying to be organised, I like getting things done.

Maybe I need to work on that.

I hope you get well soon
xxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi positivelady. Sorry for your pain - I hope you get some relief from it soon.

I understand how you're feeling, too. Over the last 10 days I've had some really bad sinus problems and am experiencing vertigo, etc. I feel like I'm drunk some of the time! I'm sitting around the house feeling bored and like I'm isolating myself and it does remind me of the way I used to be, too.

Just remember that it's not going to last forever. That's what I'm trying to focus on. It will pass and we'll get right back to where we were before we were ill.

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had weird cravings the first time I was ill but none in the years and illnesses since, positvelady

I think the first time sick sober is always the worst.

Have you been able to see a Dr?
I really hope you get & feel better soon

D
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hi Ally,

I wish you a speedy recovery and just echo what the others have said about spending your time here. I think illness is somewhat reflected in HALT - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. You're pretty much the majority of those when ill and it does take a major toll on our bodies, not only physically but mentally. The only thing we can do is just plough through it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, it helps to know you are all here and giving me positive words. I have seen the Dr in hospital yesterday and will be seeing the nurse for a dressing change tomorrow. I think its feeling sorry for myself and not being able to get about and do the little things like taking a shower and washing my hair all the stuff I never did whilst drinking

This is my 1st sober illness and it does truly suck.

Thanks guys
xxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent the first few months of recovery ill and a lot of time bedridden. I lived on SR. I also had to learn to take care of myself. I was not very good at that. Prayers for your recovery
I now look at that time as a blessing, I can't begin to explain how much reading I did here on SR.
Take care of yourself
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My experience is that anything that makes me uncompfortable is a trigger. My solution to everything was too drink so my sick brain trys to go back to the default fix which is no longer an option.

I love to isolate so when I am uncompfortale I will call people, post on SR, have people come over, anything to get me out of my head.