Notices

what about me?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what about me?

would it be inappropriate for me to go to NA meetings being that I've never used? I want to go because my boyfriend is coming off suboxone and is clean from BTH for 1+ yr. Should I go to AA meetings instead? I know nothing about either program ): and i'm serious about getting myself help through all of this!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's inappropriate to go to an "open" meeting. Open meetings are just that, open to anyone. Closed meeting are for those who desire to stop drinking or using. (well I am only speaking for AA because that's all I know, but I am assuming the NA meetings are the same. I did go to a CA meeting once although I've never done cocaine. The meeting was also open to alcoholics.)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are a non alcoholic addict who is looking for help being with your addict boyfriend. I'm that is correct, I think the program you are looking for is Al-Anon.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

no, i'm the girlfriend of a recovering addict, and I'd just like to go to some kind of meeting because I feel like it's the best thing for me to do for both of us... I looked up NA meetings in my state but none of them are stated as open or closed meetings... so I'm just not sure whether or not that's how the NA meetings work???
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

You said your bf admitted to drinking yesterday afternoon. Alcohol is a drug. I am sorry to say your bf is not in recovery. Very often, drinking will lead him right back to his DOC.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome fulloflove -

You might want to look into Al-Anon or Nar-Anon...... they are groups that often meet at the same times/locations as AA or NA, but are specifically for family or friends of alcoholics and addicts. You can google them and see if there are any in your area.

While you're looking around here, we also have a section for family/friends of substance abusers:
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
I know you'll find support there as well. Glad you're here!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Al-Anon is prob best for you, but if you want to accompany your friend, I don't think it's inappropriate at all to go with them to NA or AA. In the end, they are all 12 step programs that are open and available to help when ready. Whatever you decide, you'll likely get something out of any of them.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LoveMeNot- when did she ever mention that her boyfriend admitted to drinking yesterday? Did I miss a post?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

INCA- i have a post under friends and family of substance abusers. check it out, its called goodbye suboxone. i dont know what to do through all of this, which is why i want to go to some sort of meeting. i need to understand his need for substance abuse....
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Like the others have guided you to is Al-Anon thats the program for people with addictions..

Great people that will really help YOU!!!!