Notices

I'm So Confused!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm So Confused!

Has anyone else or is anyone else experiencing extreme restlessness in early sobriety? It's making me want to drink so I'm posting here instead. I've had a jam packed weekend full of activity and I have had two hours of down time today to relax and watch tv and I burst into tears and then got this feeling of extreme restlessness and the desire to drink. I'm leaving the house again soon but to keep myself from drinking, I'm using the last half hour I have before to post.

I think it's so weird that these feelings come out of no where and have no idea how to work through them yet. I'm so grateful I have a place like this to go before I get myself into trouble again.

Anyone else going through this?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm going through restless now and I have just over 5 months clean. I just make myself busy with trivial things if I have to.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think restlessness is pretty common Inca - how long have you been sober again?

D
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Yeh it's a real roller-coaster of great ups and downs for the first month or so, persevere and the physical side will calm down. I did a lot of "sitting on my hands" in the first month.
I also believe a depression i never knew i had lifted after about six months .. a year on and life is calm and comfortable

Stick with it ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will get used to how to deal with the emotions.

Good for you for working through it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you get symptoms like restlessness it seems as if this is the way life is now but it is all temporary. Restlessness has to be some form of the body or brain or both adjusting to having the DOC removed. It seems to be common to all withdrawal to some degree. I was withdrawing from opiates and the restlessness drove me nuts. The worst was during efforts to sleep when I couldn't stop thrashing around and my legs wouldn't stay quiet. it was hard to stay in one spot and I felt like a lunatic.

It is just a stage in withdrawal and will go away. Try to look at each symptom as it goes away as proof of improvement.

Hot showers/baths and exercise can help but either way it is just one more thing to endure.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

extreme restlessness in early sobriety

Yes yes yes! But it goes away with time so just stay sober and eat good food and get rest and you should feel better. If not, see your doctor.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's the anxiety that's the hardest for me x
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

It's my all over the place moods that really get to me. I'm not in full sobriety yet, but even now, and especially when I've gone thru w/d's, my mood swings have been awful. I'm not normally moody or cranky or the type to snap at people, but without oxy I get that way.

I hate it because I don't like feeling out of control of myself and I don't like to get angry at others. Especially for no reason. I do have one friend tho that told me I could be moody, irritable and cranky with her and she'd still love and accept me. Haven't really tested her much yet, but I hope she really means it!!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am re-reading a very good book called Healing the Addicted Brain. Talks a lot about how the brain has been damaged and how it heals. Restlessness was a major one for me and the only fix was AA meetings and to keep myself constantly busy.

The good news is each day gets a little better
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Of course we all go throught these crazy emotions, restless, sleep is wacky, ect.. Our minds and bodys are going thru severe changes..

For me daily AA help me to not only calm things , but learn what and why they are they in the first place.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It's been a week again and the adjustment is just crazy. Why I keep putting myself through this I don't know. I think I started this journey a year ago. I'm going to do 90 in 90 this time. I've threatened myself with anti-craving drugs and antabuse. If I drink again I'm going on them. Whatever I'm doing has not been working in the past so I greatly appreciate you guys just letting me post and listening. Really...thanks so much. I know I need to just get through the next month or so and the restlessness/crazy emotions because I've been there so many times I can't even count and it does get better. I just forget!

Everyone have a good night (or morning wherever you are)!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not just a drug- it's our hobby and our life! It's a shoulder when you're down, a buddy to celebrate with when you're happy and it's self contained entertainment! So if you've spent half of every day wasted it's normal that you now are restless- you've just added 12 hours to your day!

It does get better though!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i colored a lot. seriously. markers and downloadable coloring sheets. look up mandalas. it's a great way to kill some downtime. i still color from time to time when i feel restless and i can't concentrate on reading.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Coloring....I love it! Remember shrinky dinks and color/paint by number? I don't even know if those still exist but what a great way to keep your mind occupied.