Notices

STD testing.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

STD testing.

Yeah I said it.

If you're male, female, single or married. The odds are that you've done something risky when drinking.

I got drunk on Friday night, had a one night stand with a guy, luckily it was protected sex but tonight I remembered those previous times that I don't remember if I used protection or not.

I've found the number of a local, free sexual health clinic that I will call tomorrow to book in for a pap smear and STD check.

Yes this topic is probably WAAAAY to much information but I realised that there are probably other people on these boards who have done the same behaviours and maybe haven't thought about checking for STD's.

You don't need to comment on the thread if you feel uncomfortable but contact your local medical centre, sexual health clinic or gyno.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ahah yeah been tested before, not recently though, and I did have unprotected sex a while back, albeit sober. Better get myself booked in *googles the local GUM clinic*
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i don't think it is way too much info jane. good for you on bringing it up. not in that position myself but i have been in the past. that is something that isn't thought about but a real hazard for a big bunch of us who are addicted and not thinking straight when "things just happen". i didn't have symptoms (google chlamydia, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, syphillis, etc) and realized that i might not have symptoms if i had something. but i was worried because of certain risk factors i thought the person had. i was embarrassed to ask for testing, but at least i found out and knew i wasn't spreading a disease. and if i would have been positive, i could have been treated and taken precautions not to spread a disease...... um, i would say the key words of that sentence is "take precautions".
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

My neighbors are newlyweds and the bed squeaks above my bedroom. They were doing their thing for an hour last night at 4AM. I think even I need to be checked after that session.

*sheesh*
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
My neighbors are newlyweds and the bed squeaks above my bedroom. They were doing their thing for an hour last night at 4AM. I think even I need to be checked after that session.

*sheesh*
Ha you got an std just like a contact high.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When it comes to your health nothing is way too much information. After I quit drinking I no longer had sexual liasons with my wife so no chance of STDs. She reaked of rum all the time and it made me sick. But she had Hep B and C so I had regular checks for Hepatitis and HIV. This was as I had to give her a good scrubbing when she wouldn't and later couldn't wash herself, and when her skin got paper thin it would tear easily and I'd have to fix her up. She'd allso spit on me, bite me, and scracth me with her nails when things didn't go her way. What can I say I never forgot that she was the same woman I fell in love with. So in a situation like that this is another thing that should be considered. Thanks for the very usefull thread soberjanedoe.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it shows you're taking responsibility for your actions and that's a big step towards healing.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's good that you practiced safe sex. You probably do not have much to worry about but it is good that you are taking it seriously.

Regardless of outcomes it is important to get tested again in 3 months. There are some incubation periods for certain STD's.

Remember unless you ask specifically for a Herpes or HSV2 test, it is not included on the standard STD panel! So I would ask for that if you can.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I had unprotected sex while using in Summer 2000 with my gf at the time. In 2001 I began seeing a new girl and she was unable to get pregnant so we never used protection. One night while stoned I came up with this nightmarish scenario in my head that I had contracted HIV from the first girl and given it to the 2nd girl. Months of fear, paranoia, shame, guilt, and anxiousness followed that thought. Even though I needed to, I was too afraid to get tested for fear that the scenario was true. I continued to have unprotected sex with her anyway. Finally in 2003, I couldn't take it anymore, I did the right thing and got tested. Negative. I haven't been with anyone since then so unless theres stuff swimming around in the jacuzzi, I should still be clean.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks for the positive feedback guys

I felt a bit nervous posting this topic.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

:rotfxko
Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

*sheesh*
Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I have never had protected sex at age 41. And never had a STD, and also have gotten my HIV tests. And thankfully okay there.

Just one more example of my own god doing for me what I could not do for myself...

I am so glad I have not been with anyone since I came into sobriety.. Maybe next year or whenever , I am in no rush. I never been sober before this great ride this year. So no reason to jump into any relationships. It will happen when its suppose to..
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A yearly pap &gyno visit is part of caring about youself
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted this Soberjanedoe This is one of my pet subjects and I'm often shocked how few people get tested regularly. I think most people would be shocked what risky behaviour actually constitutes! I go every 6 months or in between partners, whichever comes first.