So called help

Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So called help

just off the phone with the local so called drug support group. i had lots of questions regarding child custody as my wife is a using addict up to the point she uses in the house and leaves pins etc in easy to find places for my 5 years old.

when i told the support worker this he simply said it no different from having alcohol and drinking in the house.

is it me or is this just a crazy statement to make.???
Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is a crazy statement. Children are far more likely to have "accidents" stumbling across a needle or a drug they find and it is a dangerous situation to be in. Having a parent who is high or drunk is also dangerous, doesn't matter which substance is used, if the parent is incapable of being responsible, the child is in danger.

My prayers go out for your children, may they find a safe place free from all dangers.

Hugs
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds pretty crazy to me but then heavy drinking can cause same situation of not being able to care for your child, not be able to protect your child?

My ex's mom was an alcoholic, she drank herself to death by the time he was 17 (liver failure), he sometimes drove his mom home cause she was too drunk, I don't think he was 15! In fact I think he was closer to 12.

I think most 5 years old wouldn't take more than a sip of booze which shouldn't kill them but a few pills (which can look like candies) or a bit of powder and they can be dead.
Plus booze is legal. So not the same in my opinion but I guess whether your spouse is an alcoholic or a drug addict you probably need more or less the same help.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Perhaps she was referring to the emotional damage addiction can cause your son. Both addiction and alcoholism are family diseases. Everyone becomes effected!

I am glad to see you are taking measures to keep your son safe.