Notices

First attempt at recovery

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question First attempt at recovery

This is my first post. I am 3.5 days into sobriety and today I am really feeling crappy. My mind and body are raging war against me... I attended my first AA meeting Thursday, albeit the scariest thing I have ever done. I was so amazed at the instant feeling of belonging. I really struggled with myself last night to not go out, but I didnt. I work tonight, so I just have to get thru the after-work temptation.. As I have been feeling the effects of withdrawl it really has made me take a look at the last time I really sober for days and to be honest I can't remember.. Ugh, this is tough stuff.. I joined sober recovery because as I was doing my pre-sober research, sober recovery kept coming up it was like I was meant to be here. I am most certainly a work in progress.. I feel another tough night ahead..
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, and congratulations on your day count. The beginning is hard. You are starting a new life without alcohol. Everything seems different, and the urge to take "one drink" to get the edge off can be overwhelming.
Since you already went to an AA meeting, why not go again? That feeling of belonging will grow and grow each time you show up. You'll meet people that can help you through the tough times, and you'll learn how to have fun sober.
Keep posting on here and reading stories. That should help too
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jzsassy View Post
This is my first post. I am 3.5 days into sobriety and today I am really feeling crappy. My mind and body are raging war against me... I attended my first AA meeting Thursday, albeit the scariest thing I have ever done. I was so amazed at the instant feeling of belonging. I really struggled with myself last night to not go out, but I didnt. I work tonight, so I just have to get thru the after-work temptation.. As I have been feeling the effects of withdrawl it really has made me take a look at the last time I really sober for days and to be honest I can't remember.. Ugh, this is tough stuff.. I joined sober recovery because as I was doing my pre-sober research, sober recovery kept coming up it was like I was meant to be here. I am most certainly a work in progress.. I feel another tough night ahead..
Good luck tonight and kudos on 3.5 days!! I am a new poster to the forums too and I know exactly what you mean about it feeling like it was meant to be. From my short time here, I can say everyone here is very friendly and helpful in recovery. Every day that I visit the forums seems to be another day sober for me!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jzsassy View Post
I found sobriety, sanity and serenity in Alcoholics Anonymous. You will feel right at home there in no time.

Go to the meetings as often as possible and stick with the winners.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well come also. May your best dreams come true.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.. I should have went to a meeting today, but as an excuse I felt like crap and decided not to go. I will be there tomorrow though. I absolutely love the "Quote" it perfectly describes my brain.. Thanks again for your kind words.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I felt like I belonged when I went to AA. That feeling intensified 10 fold when I got and read the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous. It was as if I was reading my own biography that I didn't know existed.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jzsassy

The early days are rough - but there's a lot of support here - you're not alone

D
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Jzsassy,
It is a struggle with withdrawals and whatnot but well worth it. I am over 15 months sober with the support of both AA and SR. Just keep doing what you are doing, go to meetings, read and post here and put sobriety as the number one priority in your life.
Your life will get better the promises in AA will come true.
All the best
CaiHong
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

It's hard to get through the early days, but you never have to go through this again.

There's lots of support here, so I hope you keep posting.