When they are totally in denial?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When they are totally in denial?

My XAH is out of my house. He is still actively drinking and drugging.

He has NEVER, recently acknowledged that he is an addict.

He did once or twice when the kids were small, did detox and a little bit of rehab. Then came home and convinced me he could still have a couple of drinks. Yeah WHATEVER!

My question is: So many of you have As who acknowledge their addictions. Then, they lie to you and sneak their addictions into the house. You look for it, find it or not find it, worry, suspect etc. Mine just did it all in front of me, no matter how much I protested and begged or cried. What is so wrong and broken with me that he doesn't even care to lie or hide what he does? He just does it and gives me the great big middle finger.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

lULU39, DO YOU THINK YOUR HUSBAND IS HIGH ON THE NARICSSISM SCALE?

IF, SO, YOUR ANSWER MIGHT LIE THERE.

DANDYLION
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In a weird way, your husband is being open and honest about his thoughts and his actions. He doesn't believe that he has an addiction problem and doesn't think there's anything for him to cover up. Or he's decided that this is how he's going to keep on going and other folks can take it or leave it.

He really is being open and honest about his current lifestyle. It means that you need to be just as honest with both him and yourself about whether you are willing to accept him the way he is. He's not going to change, so all that is left is for you to decide if you're going to change.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

It is a war of the wills, his will to drink is so strong, that he doesn't care what you want or think.

There is nothing wrong with you, it's just that he has been in the drivers seat and you have been sitting in the back seat. He is gone now, hop behind the wheel and leave him in your dust.

You are doing good, keep moving in the right direction, dedicate your thought processes to you and your children.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a struggle for me. My AH will fully admit that he's an alcoholic with a serious problem and believe it 100%, and in the same breath insist that all of that is behind him now and he doesn't need ongoing interventions like AA or counseling, because he's just fine, thank you. Denial becomes a way of living.

In my experience, the more people around him who are invested in maintaining that denial, for whatever reason, it doesn't really matter, the sicker he'll be.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu39 View Post
What is so wrong and broken with me that he doesn't even care to lie or hide what he does?
This question brought tears to my eyes. He isn't doing this AT you, no matter how much it feels that way, or how much his alcoholism tries to convince you that is what is happening. He is doing this to himself and you are collateral damage. It just doesn't have anything to do with you, for better or for worse. I choose to see it as 'for better', because you don't have to be a part of this struggle. I am wishing you strength and peace to get through this patch and see the brighter future that is waiting for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu39 View Post
My question is: So many of you have As who acknowledge their addictions. Then, they lie to you and sneak their addictions into the house. You look for it, find it or not find it, worry, suspect etc. Mine just did it all in front of me, no matter how much I protested and begged or cried. What is so wrong and broken with me that he doesn't even care to lie or hide what he does? He just does it and gives me the great big middle finger.
IMHO, you are confusing sneaking and lying about an addiction with caring for someone else's feelings. People who sneak around and lie about their addiction only care about their own feelings, and keeping everyone else in the dark is only to keep people from harping and nagging at them.

I think a better question to ask yourself would be "what is so broken in me that I would allow myself to be treated this way?"
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why should he hide it? He knows you know he drinks. It isn't anything personal...he isn't drinking AT you, he's drinking because he's an alcoholic and he wants to drink. Period.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I thought perhaps this might help. It is brutally honest, but it is the truth.

Originally Posted by Ann
What Addicts Do
This post has been reposted so many times that I thought I would sticky it here at the top. Jon posted this some time ago, in response to the many questions of "why" that were asked by those who love an addict. I thank Jon for sharing this so honestly and hope it will help others understand what addicts do.

What Addicts Do

My name's Jon. I'm an addict. And this is what addicts do. You cannot nor will not change my behavior. You cannot make me treat you better, let alone with any respect. All I care about, all I think about, is my needs and how to go about fufilling them. You are a tool to me, something to use. When I say I love you I am lying through my teeth, because love is impossible for someone in active addiction. I wouldn't be using if I loved myself, and since I don't, I cannot love you.

My feelings are so pushed down and numbed by my drugs that I could be considered sociopathic. I have no empathy for you or anyone else. It doesn't faze me that I hurt you, leave you hungry, lie to you, cheat on you and steal from you.

My behavior cannot and will not change until i make a decison to stop using/drinking and then follow it up with a plan of action.

And until I make that decsion, I will hurt you again and again and again.

Stop being surprised.

I am an addict. And that's what addicts do.

Have A Great 24
-jon
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hydrogirl,
Thanks for posting that, yes it is brutally honest but I also feel like we need to understand not to take their behavior personally -- that is the hardest part.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mine never bothered to hide it either. What did he care?! Not at all. He didn't hide it from anyone. He is a narcissist according to my therapist. Empty bottles everywhere, falling out of his truck at safety meetings, sitting on the counter, in the garbage.....the only place he wouldn't put them was in the recycling!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's progressive. Alcoholism progresses to the point where the alcoholic doesn't care what others around them think anymore.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What is so wrong and broken with me that he doesn't even care to lie or hide what he does?
This made me teary-eyed too. Babe, there's not a thing wrong with you. Yes, you're broken because you've lived with an addict. It breaks the strongest of us. Sometimes, I think of how often it's strong people who get involved with addicts. It's like we think we can handle them. But we can't. And so we break. And it's OK to be broken. It's nothing that can't be fixed. And it is SO much easier now that you don't have to dance around him.

There's nothing in you that made him behave the way he did.
Just like there's nothing in an abused woman that makes the abuser beat her.
Just like there's nothing in a rape victim that made her attacker rape her.

Same idea, different behaviors. It. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. You. It's all on him. All on him. The only thing you need to worry about is why you let him. That's a hard enough nut to crack, I find.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is so wrong and broken with me that he doesn't even care to lie or hide what he does? He just does it and gives me the great big middle finger.
He's an alcoholic, that's why. Alcoholics' higher power, God, love of their lives is booze, not other people. You must accept it, that you'll never understand, and move on.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You aren't wrong and broken, he's an active Alcoholic. Really he isn't dong it TO you.

But it is difficult to not take it personally.