Notices

Commit myself to mandatory stay ?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Commit myself to mandatory stay ?

I need to know if there are any rehab centers that I can check into and cant leave until a predetermined period has passed. What I need is to be able to check into somewhere, say I don't want to be released for 10 days, and no matter what I say or do, I am trapped there until the 10 days is up. Does such a place exist?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sharkgunner

I'm sure someone with a greater knowledge of me will be able to answer that question for you.

What would you do after the 10 days tho?

D
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well Jail would do that for ya , but I dont think thats the route you want. I know I hated it everytime. ;-)

Not that I am aware of. Anywhere you go , you are going on your own accord. So if you truly want to leave you can. You can do this tho.. Get in and sit down and listen...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I don't think there is anywhere that would forcefully hold you if you decided to up and leave. Part of the recovery process is having to want it so it would kinda defeat the point of you being there if they had to force you to stay. Perhaps try looking for places that run short 2 week periods of rehab with the opportunity of extending your stay if possible?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that within the military if you are ordered in you stay in until they say so, or you sign release papers. But I do know civilians who have signed waivers to be kept in until detoxing is complete but once the actual rehab portion began they were again in control of if they left, as the desire to stay is part of the rehabilitation process. What your asking is essentially for them to rehabilitate you but that's not how it works, you're provided with the tools to rehabilitate yourself. But I would think it would ultimately be up to the facility. Personally I'd rather be in control of my destiny as I know I would never have stopped until I wanted it bad enough.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Even if you found a place that would force you to be there for 10 days (or whatever amount you ended up signing up for) when you got released you would have to learn how to dedicate yourself to recovery without someone telling you that you can't leave.

Although it is a lot easier said than done, you need to commit to recovery and stay because you recognize that you need to be there and that leaving before treatment is done will only be short changing yourself. I realize that it isn't always that simple, but I know for myself, someone forcing me to stay clean wasn't actually entering recovery. Now that I am staying clean for ME and not because someone is expecting me to be clean I am progressing farther in recovery mentally then when I was forced to be clean for months.

The dedication needs to come from yourself, not from not having the option to use. I'm not saying any of this in a mean way, it is just my opinion on what worked for me. With that said, I know you can find it in yourself to complete the program even if they can't lock you into it!

Keep moving forward we all deserve so much more than addiction!

Maylie
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think such a place exists, apart from prison which is not a good option! I have begged to be sectioned in the past to stop from drinking-but I know that wouldn't have worked! I have to want recovery- and I want it desperately. Are you receiving any help Shark?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jail or commitment for your own/other safety are the only things I know of that can take your liberty for a prescribed period of time ...if you really mess up , the rest of your life. Wherever I go , I am always there no matter where I am.

Its true in my opinion what others have said , the recovery is something you have want and then get a plan and support to help you get there.

I do hear you though its often tough to get your head around anything if you can't stop drinking. For me it had to get pretty bad and then the want for the insanity to stop cut through the alcoholic fog. Some call this a bottom.

There is help out there to stop drinking. Have you seen a doctor? Have you thought about any number of programs that can help? Both can help.

Best wishes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What makes it impossible for you to stay on your own for 10 days? Do you not want to get sober?

The only way I can think of is to hand over your medical power of attorney (if that's what it's called) to a family member. Basically saying they need to make your medical decisions for you. But that's everything, not just how long you stay in rehab. And even then, rehabs don't have bars on the windows and chains on the doors. If you want to leave, you'll leave.
No, I think you need to face facts. Either you're ready to stick it out in rehab or you're not. Maybe going is the only way to find out?

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There may be a way to get yourself declared legally incompetent/danger to yourself but you would have to turn over all rights to the courts or a loved one. Alcoholism only ends in one of 4 ways.

Recovery
Death
Incarcaration
Institutionalization

So doing it voluntarily may be a better option. I agree with Silly. You have to be ready to stick it out for 10 days. If you are not ready to do this for you then 10 years is not going to make a differance.