went to 1st meeting today

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

went to 1st meeting today

So tonight I had planned on going to an al anon meeting with my boyfriend. It was going to be held at a church so we arrived and there was no one there. The sign on the door pointed which way al anon was and so we walked in and it had been taken over by some kids movie night. I looked on the church website and it had no listing for even having an al anon meeting so I was kind of upset. I had all of this emotion and anxiety going because I was finally going to meet others suffering the same way I had by having addicts in my life. Anyways, I told my boyfriend we should go to his open NA meeting instead so I can have some insight on how this whole thing works. I enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting listening to peoples stories although it was kind of weird because I'm not an addict and everyone always states their name and says I'm an addict. But I didn't say anything, I just sat there to listen.

Anyways, I checked on other church websites about al anon meetings and those seem scheduled and known about so ill give it another go next week and hopefully it works out!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreckleFace View Post
So tonight I had planned on going to an al anon meeting with my boyfriend. It was going to be held at a church so we arrived and there was no one there. The sign on the door pointed which way al anon was and so we walked in and it had been taken over by some kids movie night. I looked on the church website and it had no listing for even having an al anon meeting so I was kind of upset. I had all of this emotion and anxiety going because I was finally going to meet others suffering the same way I had by having addicts in my life. Anyways, I told my boyfriend we should go to his open NA meeting instead so I can have some insight on how this whole thing works. I enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting listening to peoples stories although it was kind of weird because I'm not an addict and everyone always states their name and says I'm an addict. But I didn't say anything, I just sat there to listen.

Anyways, I checked on other church websites about al anon meetings and those seem scheduled and known about so ill give it another go next week and hopefully it works out!
Yeah, sometimes things get dropped - tis the way of a completely volunteer group.

I remember being the only one in an Al-Anon meeting one day - for the first 15 minutes of the meeting. Then people started showing up and thought I was the leader! So I went along with it - led my first meeting that day.

Be sure to try a few different meetings...each group tends to have a different flavor.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm contemplating going to my first one tonight, just a few blocks from home. This is what I'm afraid of, that no one will be there.

Tonight, I desperately need someone to talk to.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe going to the NA meeting happened for a reason...you never know. Way to persevere.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to my first al-anon meeting this morning. I'm not a social person, and I don't like large groups, so I was kind of nervous. I knew I needed to do it, and I probably should have gone long ago.

I loved it. it was so enlightening. I expected everyone to be talking about their alcoholic, their experience with them, etc, but it was entirely focused on us, the ones who love/deal with the alcoholic. I haven't had any focus on me in so long, its been all about my husband for so long, that to be in a room full of people who know exactly how I'm feeling and what I'm going through was, well, kind of indescribable. it forced me to look at myself and realize I need to take care of me, and not just that, but I deserve it.

I really suggest going to a meeting, I really didn't want it to end.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Then go because 99.999 percent of the time...

...people are there. I've been going twice a week since 2003 and have only had meetings not be there a couple of times. Even so, as TG said, they all have a different flavor so go to this one, try some others, and see what you think. After about six meeting you'll know if it's for you.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by GG128 View Post
I'm contemplating going to my first one tonight, just a few blocks from home. This is what I'm afraid of, that no one will be there.

Tonight, I desperately need someone to talk to.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

I agree with Cyranoak, and applaud you for your perserverance too! All the newcomers!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

http://www.northjerseyal-anon.org/meeting.htm

Call them and ask about meetings.